Chicken Infectious bronchitis treatment

Chickenclaw

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Australia, Vic
Hi,

One of my four pet chickens has been sneezing for the past week and is now sneezing a lot more frequently. My other hens have started sneezing and one has a pale comb and laid a wrinkled egg.

ED56A88D-95FB-4B44-875C-1C033133A85C.jpeg

I did some research on their symptoms and i think that they have infectious bronchitis. I’ve given all the chickens electrolytes and multivitamins to assist their recovery, but I was wondering if there is anything else I can give them if their symptoms don’t improve.

I agree with your assessment that you're dealing with Infectious Bronchitis (IB.) Wrinkled eggs and watery whites are tell tale signs typical for IB.
It has to run its course within your flock, there is no treatment since it's a virus. Secondary bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics.
Here's a link regarding 20 week virus shed of IB:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-bronchitis/infectious-bronchitis-in-poultry
Thanks for the article link, having more knowledge on the virus is very useful. Luckily it is Summer where I live so temperature may be less of an issue for them. I’ll still watch over them closely for more symptoms and changes in behaviour.

Hi! Steep dried oregano overnight and offer it mixed in their water. Also, make a turmeric paste, I used the recipe for dogs. You can also add manuka honey in their water. Put peppermint and eucalyptus in their coop. I used essential oil to put on their bedding. If you have a hen that is coughing, I brought mine in (three of them) and put a humidifier near their heads so they could inhale the vapor. And also used essential oil on their bedding.

Side note, I've used these remedies on myself as well.

Back
Top Bottom