Chicken injury by dog!

LeskoLayers

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Conway, SC
Well my little dachousand slipped out the door while we were letting one 4 week old chick in the yard. We were all out side with her getting friendly and letting her warm up to us. my dog nipped her on the right side of her neck just about the wing. She had some bleeding It was able to stop on its own. She seems kinda quite now note so loud. Im sure cause shes hurting. But I put her in with the other 3 4weeks olds. I hope she going to be ok. My 6yr old not so happy. Any thoughts?

If there is an open wound, you will want to keep her away from the others. They will enlarge the injury if given the chance. Clean it up with saline and put some neosporin without pain reliever and let it heal over good. You may want to put a mirror in with her to help keep her calm...she will think she has company.

If there is an open wound, you will want to keep her away from the others. They will enlarge the injury if given the chance. Clean it up with saline and put some neosporin without pain reliever and let it heal over good. You may want to put a mirror in with her to help keep her calm...she will think she has company.
Thanks I will do that

You can Super Glue the wound closed if needed.
When you go to put her back with the other chickens, you can find advice on that on the Flock Peacekeeping page on the site in my sig below.
I'm sorry she got hurt but glad she has you looking out for her.
smile.png

You can Super Glue the wound closed if needed.
When you go to put her back with the other chickens, you can find advice on that on the Flock Peacekeeping page on the site in my sig below.
I'm sorry she got hurt but glad she has you looking out for her.
smile.png
she been picking at it her self. the wound is closed and dried, but her skin is raw and no feathers their. Would I still use super glue? I have been putting her in with the flock and watching them for like 20 mins at a time. as soon as one gets close to her injury i just make a sound to spook them. Then I'll take her out. Can that be a problem?

What you're doing should help keep her from becoming a stranger to the flock during her recovery time & that's great!
I'm glad her wound is healing up. It sounds like it doesn't need glueing.
Best wishes
smile.png

What you're doing should help keep her from becoming a stranger to the flock during her recovery time & that's great!
I'm glad her wound is healing up. It sounds like it doesn't need glueing.
Best wishes
smile.png
Thanks! Shes healing and the skin is dry and I hope her feathers come back soon. But shes been in with the other all night and her wound looks the same so no picking from the others thank goodness

Back
Top Bottom