Chicken introduction went wrong- does this chicken look ill ?

silkiemama13

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2023
I have a new chicken that I introduced to two others thinking she would do well as she’s older and larger than my current ones. Well she drew blood on my roosters comb so I separated her and my rooster is doing ok.

Now I’m wondering if they were so defensive because maybe she IS sick after quarantine and I’m worried. Does her comb look ok to you? I thought it was just from going off lay and being older, because she’s behaving totally normally not sneezing at all.

Attachments

• IMG_3538.jpeg
    IMG_3538.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3536.jpeg
    IMG_3536.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 5
I have a new chicken that I introduced to two others thinking she would do well as she’s older and larger than my current ones. Well she drew blood on my roosters comb so I separated her and my rooster is doing ok.

Now I’m wondering if they were so defensive because maybe she IS sick after quarantine and I’m worried. Does her comb look ok to you? I thought it was just from going off lay and being older, because she’s behaving totally normally not sneezing at all.
You're going to have drama when introducing a lone new bird. Even if they could see her, she was not with them, so it was o.k. to just look at her.
Not uncommon for there to be fighting and it sounds like she's not keen on dealing with a rooster.
You may have to do a really slow introduction with her or just let her in there and let them battle it out.

Her comb looks to have been bloodied during the fray and she has a few scrapes on her face. Nothing I would worry about.

Try again another day.

Back
Top Bottom