Chicken is hiding in a bush and won't come out!

doshpashta

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
Hi all,

One of my pet chickens has hidden inside a bush by the forest and won't come out! When we try to approach her from behind, she just moves to another bush. It's getting dark, and I don't want her to get eaten. Is there a way for me to snatch her up and put her in the coop? Unfortunately, she doesn't know the way back herself.

I know that chickens are more docile at night. Do you think I could make an "artificial" roosting point and have her stand on it?

take out some treats and try to coax her out. she might not want to come, though, if you've been trying to catch her. If you leave her alone, you would be amazed at how far they can find their way. She will follow the sound of the other birds.

Otherwise, just watch from a distance and after dark go pick her up and put her back in the coop.

What I've done is held another chick nearby, and the reluctant has always responded eventually (so long as they see and hear each other). The chick might follow you back holding the other one? As a last resort, you could try sitting nearby with some feed in your hand and using a fishing net to scoop it up.

Let us know how you make out!

Christy

What I've done is held another chick nearby, and the reluctant has always responded eventually (so long as they see and hear each other). The chick might follow you back holding the other one? As a last resort, you could try sitting nearby with some feed in your hand and using a fishing net to scoop it up.

Let us know how you make out!

Christy

Aargh! So close! I grabbed another hen (well-known for being a loud squawker) and waved her around, and the hiding chicken slowly emerged from the bush and even started eating our snacks -- and promptly ran back inside the bush!! any other tips?

edit: clarity

Last edited:
I'd just keep an eye out for where she settles in for the night and go out and get her after she's asleep. A sleeping chicken is usually an oblivious and obliging chicken. :)

I'd just keep an eye out for where she settles in for the night and go out and get her after she's asleep. A sleeping chicken is usually an oblivious and obliging chicken. :)
Thanks. I tracked where she's hiding for the night. In a few minutes, I'll go grab her.

Hooray! I'm not sure if it was a combination of all of your advice, but the chicken decided, for some reason, to take a nighttime nap right outside the bush. We grabbed her, gave her a drink of water, and everything is alright.

Back
Top Bottom