Chicken is lethargic and poo stuck to her rump- Help!

Phookahorse

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
We have an approximately four year-old hen who we’ve had for about 8 months.

She laid eggs for the first few months then stopped and never started again. She lives with two other chickens and they get along well. They are fed lay mash and fresh vegetables everyday and get to wander around the ranch everyday.

A few days ago we noticed her rump was covered in poo. We cleaned her up and she seemed fine otherwise. Today, however, she was lethargic when we came out. She is not interested in eating or drinking and her comb has fallen over. Someone told me she could be egg bound; I felt her and can’t find any hard areas indicating an egg.

She is breathing heavily but there is no discharge anywhere. None of the other chickens are having difficulties.

Any ideas or help is appreciated. I separated her from the other chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_8330.jpeg
    IMG_8330.jpeg
    528.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_8335.jpeg
    IMG_8335.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 8
It feels empty. I don’t think she’s eaten in several hours. I have her some scrambled eggs and she seemed interested at first but won’t eat them.
So another update: she’s standing now but there is diarrhea on the towel. I covered it so she’s on something dry. Not interested in any food still but her breathing seems less labored? I feel terrible because I don’t know what to do for her.

Attachments

• IMG_8337.jpeg
    IMG_8337.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 8
Do you see the yellow urates in her poop that are normally white? That is a sign of ascites and liver problems, usually from a reproductive infection or disorder, but can also occur with cancer, fatty liver disease, or heart problems. Her tail is down also which is also common.Unfortunately you might not know exactly what is going on until she succumbs to what is ailing her, and a necropsy is done. I would try to tempt her to eat and drink, make her comfortable. Make sure the others are not pecking her, or you would need to remove her from the flock. I’m not sure that she will live very long since she isn’t intersted in eating, but try to get her drinking from a cup and try some moistened chicken feed, tuna, egg, or cat food. A lot of people do their own necropsies at home and post pictures her if they lose a hen. You state vet lab also can do a necropsy that should give a reason for her illness. Let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom