Chicken is not feeling so well

Greet

Chirping
Aug 13, 2016
Denmark
Hey
263a.png

4 weeks ago I bought 5 young chickens, they were 4 months at that time. Last week I saw that they have lice but only on top of their heads as far as I can see. I treated them with woodashes once so far. I have been ill myself the whole week so did not really spend time with them but let my husband handle all our pets. But today I went to visit my chickens and noticed that the smallest one was closing her eyes alot. So I gave them food and took her away from the others. She is really thin but they all were like that when I got them. She also has a little wound on her leg. She sits now in a dogcrate on the table in quarantine. She eats but is standing or sitting most of the times with her eyes closed. I gave her some fermented food + normal dry food and some water with acv in it. Her poop looks normal.
Anything else I should look for, can do for her? Any ideas what could be wrong with her?
[/IMG][/IMG]

I really hoped someone could give me some directions as there's no animaldoctors open in the weekend and I'm afraid the ones that are open tomorrow are nor really specialized in poultry.
Some updates on the chicken. She is still sitting with closed eyes. Her crop was full yesterdayevening (size of a small golfbal) and is empty this morning.
So recapped: she is very thin, droppings are normal, so no blood or diarrhea. She is very small compared to her sisters or at least I think it's her sisters. She is a brahma of 5 months old if what I'm told is correct. I'll make some pictures of her droppings in a bit and post them.

It could be that she is not getting enough to eat from being low in the pecking order, but she also could be sick. Coccidiosis can be a problem when chickens move to a new soil. Amprollium and toltrazuril are commonly used to treat coccidiosis. Sulfa antibiotics are sometimes used also. These may be available from a local vet in your country, or in some cases, can be purchased at a farm store that has cow medicines. I would try keeping her in a cage or basket, and giving her some chopped egg, canned tuna or salmon, and add some water to her feed to make it runny. Plain yogurt for probiotics may increase immunity. A local vet might check several fresh droppings for cocci or for worms. If she shows signs of lethargy, diarrhea with mucus or blood, sits hunched or head drawn into shoulders, and not eating, I would ttreat for coccidosis.

Hey, thanks for your answer. Can it be coccidiosis when she does not have diarrhea at all?
This is her 3th day in a cage. She does eat once and a while but sleeps most of the time. No diarrhea, no blood in droppings, no visible worms. I give her fermented food, canned tuna and kefir.

Anything else this could be or could it be coccidiosis even when there's no diarrhea or blood?

Update: we finallly Are getting some sun again after a whole month with rain and storms so I have been letting her outside on the grass which perked her up a lot. I guess she doesn't have coccidiosis as it has been 5 days with no blood or diarrhea. I'll keep her in my bathroom and see if I can get her in a better shape while letting her roam free in the garden a couple of hours a day so she keeps in contact with the other chickens. This flock doesn't seem to recognize a lot of eatable things. That coupled with that she is the lowest ranked bird resulted in a starving bird :(.
I hope they will learn to eat a lot more then they do now. I try given them kitchenscraps but they only eat bread an corn. They don't touch pellets and greens or fruits. They don't eat most insects. Can they still learn to eat more different things?

Back
Top Bottom