Chicken is slack and very thin :(

Sakiira

Hatching
Nov 27, 2015
Hello, I am very new to raising chicken but I am in an urgent need of help! One of my very first hatchers is very slack and lost a lot of weight. When we got them at the beginning of this summer, she was really round and active. We were told that they are young chicken also. I have never hold her before, but I think that this weight she has right now is abnormal. She is super skinny also :( Feathers do look good tho!
She does follow others when they get outside but when I give them food, she just stands in front of it and doesnt eat. She wont go up on the perch and she just stands in the corner, alone, not with the others. She tries to sleep and is like tapered together (my english is not really good, sorry)
I have no idea what to do now. I think that maybe she has a cold? I do keep them outside sometimes when it is sunny and not windy (we have about 0 degrees now) At night they are back in the shed. Maybe she got some wind and is feverish now?

Is there anything I can do? Bring her inside to get warm, feed something different?

Thank you for any help!

Welcome to BYC. She might have coccidiosis, or she could just be so low in the pecking order that she is not getting enough to eat and drink. Worms could also be a problem. Have you checked her skin for parasites? Mites can cause anemia and weakness. If your coop is large enough, I would place her in a cage or pen with food and water. Then I would treat her with Corid (amprollium) in her water for possible coccidiosis. The medicine will not hurt her if she doesn't have that. Corid dosage is 2 teaspoonsful of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water, for 5 days. I would offer her some chopped egg to eat. After Corid, I would give her some vitamins in her water and a small amount of yogurt for a few days. Then, I would worm your flock with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally to each chicken, and repeated in 10 days.

Hello, I am very new to raising chicken but I am in an urgent need of help! One of my very first hatchers is very slack and lost a lot of weight. When we got them at the beginning of this summer, she was really round and active. We were told that they are young chicken also. I have never hold her before, but I think that this weight she has right now is abnormal. She is super skinny also :( Feathers do look good tho!
She does follow others when they get outside but when I give them food, she just stands in front of it and doesnt eat. She wont go up on the perch and she just stands in the corner, alone, not with the others. She tries to sleep and is like tapered together (my english is not really good, sorry)
I have no idea what to do now. I think that maybe she has a cold? I do keep them outside sometimes when it is sunny and not windy (we have about 0 degrees now) At night they are back in the shed. Maybe she got some wind and is feverish now?

Is there anything I can do? Bring her inside to get warm, feed something different?

Thank you for any help!
Welcome to BYC! Definitely bring her inside and keep her warm.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom