Chicken is standing and poop is green.

Peter 123

Hatching
Jan 21, 2017
I have a flock of isa browns and leg horns. As always the best bird in the flock died first. As you may know its very distressing to wake up one day and find your best chicken lying dead on the floor. She was a isa brown and about three years old. She lost her weigh very quickly and was suffering for exactly a week. She was barely pooping, so I gave here some olive oil and that helped her poop. She was always standing and keeping here eyes shut most of the time. Her poop was yellow and green. In the fist few days here here wattles were almost white. Then they turned a pink colour before she died. Please write something below if you know what may of caused her death, and if there was a way I could of helped her.

Best guess is complications from being egg bound or egg yolk peritonitis.

Keep an eye on the rest of the flock, if there poop remains normal, eating well and are maintaining weight then is most likely above what happened.

ISA browns are just shorter lived in my expierence. They much more prone to reproductive issues at that age. Make sure your providing oyster shell on the side at all times.

Sorry for your loss.

Dom

Welcome to BYC. Unfortunately, if it was egg yolk peritonitis, you couldn't have prevented it. Good layers that age are very prone to EYP, internal laying, egg binding and other reproductive disorders. It helps sometimes to perform a necropsy either by your state poultry lab or at home yourself, since you can examine the internal organs and spot possible problems. You can look at the intestines for worms and intestinal hemorrhage, look for egg material inside the abdomen, and can spot a crop or gizzard blockage. Sometimes just the color of the liver, for example, may give some information on what was wrong. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom