Chicken is wheezing with an open mouth?

heychickiedoo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Our Ameraucana pullet has started making strange sounds today. She's always kind of squawked but we just assumed it was her "voice", but today she's started "whining" constantly. It's like she's wheezing because she does it every time she breathes in and out. I've listened to her breathing by holding her up but can't hear any obvious phlegm. She's not at all lethargic and she's eating and drinking normally, but she's been doing this whining all day and even now while she's roosting in the coop at nighttime. I feel so badly for her, but I'm not even sure if I should be concerned? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Here is a link to a video of her that shows a little bit of the sounds I mean:

She has stridor, which may be because there is something in her airway, such as a piece of food, an object stuck that she has eaten, or possibly some new tissue or mucus plug in there. Take a close look at her tonight or in the morning to see if she is still doing that, and look down her throat with a flashlight (need some help for that.) Many times posters on here will report that it is gone by morning.

Back
Top Bottom