Chicken is worse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyballgirl, Aug 21, 2013.

1. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Our hen has been sick for weeks now. We have most recently given her a course of antibiotic and today she is falling down and not able to walk very well. Before this (at the beginning of her illness) she was stretching her neck and then the right eye closed and has been closed for two to three weeks. She seemed to be responding to the Tylan - but today she is worse. And we don't know what to do. Of course my daughter is afraid she will die...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you de-worm her with fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste)?

-Kathy

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    The website www.msucares.com has a lot of info about all sorts of stuff. Go to the poultry page and see if you can match up the symptoms with your hen. Have you taken her to a vet or are you home medicating? Good luck, Sue

5. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Correction to my earlier post... this chicken has been sick since at least August 3. Time for emergency, supportive care, IMNSHO.

-Kathy

7. flyballgirl

Aug 3, 2013
    Yes, we did use a de-wormer. We started with Duramycin then used the Safeguard then the Tylan 50 - with some days in between to give her system a break. Her neck is all craned to the right and she keeps falling down when she tries to walk. But if we hold her up then she will eat and drink. Her right eye is still closed.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I may have jumped the gun a bit in talking about a necropsy -- although it's a good idea to look into it, so you know if the need arises. But it sounded like she had been sick a long time, and I assumed you had wormed her, treated any lice/mites, etc. You've been given some good links above, for considering the various possible diseases. The trouble is, she could have a cancer or even be an internal layer, or some other condition for which there is really no treatment.

The only ohter thing I can think of that is treatable is tapeworm. Safeguard gets most worms but will not get tapes. You should actually be able to tell if it's tapes, from the poop. See here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...peworm-or-any-worms-really/0_20#post_11670181

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    What kind of hen is she,meaning breed? Have you looked at any symptoms for wry neck? It is a long shot,but the twisting of the neck and difficulty walking,may indicate a vitamin deficiency,wry neck cannot be cured by antibiotics,the treatment is vitamins in particular Vitamin E and Selenium together. Can you open her eyelid? Birds have three eyelids,upper,lower and the nictitating membrane,this is semi-tranparent meaning birds can still see while feeding/flying the purpose is to keep the eye clean by removing dust,etc. It is possible that besides the eye itself,one of the eyelids is irritating her. Open eyelids,check for infection/wound.

10. flyballgirl

Aug 3, 2013
    I don't know her breed. But some videos I just looked at of chickens with wry neck look somewhat like what she is doing. I have a bag of vitamins and electrolytes that I had been giving her when she was on the Duramycin but I stopped it when I put her on the de-wormer. I don't know why. I will give this to her again. Any other suggestions? I'm going out to check on her now. Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by