Chicken isn’t walking

Mlovato23

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2021
Hey there everyone! I have a chicken and she doesn’t want to walk like she’s injured. I have checked for cuts and stuff but she has none. She is able to stand on her own but just about falls forward when she stands. She has to be moved in front of food and water so she eats and drinks.

Can you post pictures of the bird?

A little more info will also be helpful. What breed is she? Age? Is she pooping, and if so, what does it look like? How does her crop feel?

I have no idea what breed she is. I got her from a friend that had to many chickens. She is probably about 3 months old. She does poop just in the spot she’s placed in. The poop is watery and more like diarrhea. I have felt her whole body and it feels normal. I will have to get a picture of her in the morning.

Do you know if she was vaccinated against Marek's?

Please describe feed routne including treats and supplements.

Are you in the US?

:fl
I do not know. She eats scratch and cracked corn. As for treats i just started with meal worms. Keep in mind I just got her last week. Yes I am in New Mexico

I do not know. She eats scratch and cracked corn. As for treats i just started with meal worms. Keep in mind I just got her last week. Yes I am in New Mexico
Nutrient deficiency is highly suspect according to this description.. she need a complete diet of starter or grower feed to support her. It has added protein and amino acids plus other vitamins and minerals that scratch and corn do NOT. At least 18% protein. Preferabbly 20%.

Vitamin E and thiamine will make a huge difference.. I might suggest a supplement.. Poultry Nutri Drebnch or rooster booster brand Poultry Cell.

But ya gotta get a formulated ration also as the main source of feed and the other stuff should not exceed 10% TOTAL intake daily.

Last edited:
Nutrient deficiency is highly suspect according to this description.. she need a complete diet of starter or grower feed to support her. It has added protein and amino acids plus other vitamins and minerals that scratch and corn do NOT. At least 18% protein. Preferabbly 20%.

Vitamin E and thiamine will make a huge difference.. I might suggest a supplement.. Poultry Nutri Drebnch or rooster booster brand Poultry Cell.

But ya gotta get a formulated ration also as the main source of feed and the other stuff should not exceed 10% TOTAL intake daily.

The feed is a crumble starter feed. I started her with vitamin b 12 added to her water and poultry cell this evening.

Thank you so much for your help

The feed is a crumble starter feed. I started her with vitamin b 12 added to her water and poultry cell this evening.

Thank you so much for your help
Starter feed wasn't included in the previous statement being the reason I said nutrient deficit so confidently.. which is still possible if the treats were in excess. Scratch and cracked corn are consdered treats, good for enrichment and high energy but lousy nutrient values. Adding the supplement is a good place to start, though I wouldn't rule out other possible causes just yet. Still cut out ALL treats until you see results. Only excepeption I might consider (short term).. a boiled and smashed or scrambled egg or other high quality protein like ground beef, canned mackerel, etc.

If she passes.. refridgerating the body and sending in for necropsy to get a diagnosis.. and see if the rest of your flock has anything to worry about or not (virus, parasite, disease, etc) might be a good idea.. I looked, it's $115 for up to 3 birds in your state. That's not super affordable for me.. contact info for your state..

https://nmdeptag.nmsu.edu/labs/veterinary-diagnostic-services.html

Veterinary Diagnostic Services
700 Camino de Salud NE
Albuquerque, NM 87106 US
505-841-2576
fax: 505-841-2518

Was she not walking before she got to you or is it a new development?

How is she doing this morning?

Hey there everyone! I have a chicken and she doesn’t want to walk like she’s injured. I have checked for cuts and stuff but she has none. She is able to stand on her own but just about falls forward when she stands. She has to be moved in front of food and water so she eats and drinks.
Here’s is a picture

Starter feed wasn't included in the previous statement being the reason I said nutrient deficit so confidently.. which is still possible if the treats were in excess. Scratch and cracked corn are consdered treats, good for enrichment and high energy but lousy nutrient values. Adding the supplement is a good place to start, though I wouldn't rule out other possible causes just yet. Still cut out ALL treats until you see results. Only excepeption I might consider (short term).. a boiled and smashed or scrambled egg or other high quality protein like ground beef, canned mackerel, etc.

If she passes.. refridgerating the body and sending in for necropsy to get a diagnosis.. and see if the rest of your flock has anything to worry about or not (virus, parasite, disease, etc) might be a good idea.. I looked, it's $115 for up to 3 birds in your state. That's not super affordable for me.. contact info for your state..

https://nmdeptag.nmsu.edu/labs/veterinary-diagnostic-services.html

Veterinary Diagnostic Services
700 Camino de Salud NE
Albuquerque, NM 87106 US
505-841-2576
fax: 505-841-2518

Was she not walking before she got to you or is it a new development?

How is she doing this morning?
Good morning.
You have to keep in mind I only have had her about one week. She was walking when I got her so it was a new thing for her not to walk.

This morning she was doing a little better. Last night she wasn’t able to walk, just stand. Today she was able to stand a little longer and take a few steps without being off balance. She still is sick but not as sick as yesterday.

Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom