Chicken Jail

I'm thoroughly scared of that hen. Lookit the stink-eye!!
ep.gif

I am thinking of getting rid of her. I have never seen a hen like her. And chicken jail does not work. She is just mean. I mean plain old mean. Did not know hens could be so hateful.

Ok, so after 4 days and nights in the cage I let Queeny back out with the other hens. She once again took the top most roosting rung and has been asserting her dominance over the other hens. When I gave them all their treats, (meal worms, crickets, stag beetles, pretty much whatever fell out of the wood I was splitting,) she would take the largest she saw and run away with it. So I figured that would give the other hens enough time to pick out what they wanted. Well, Queeny doesn't waste time eating, so she gobbled it down, ran back, squawked at the other hens running them off, literally, she would run after them until they were away, then gobble the rest of it down. Now, I know I'm still new to this whole thing, and I know there will always be a dominate hen so am I over thinking this when I think shes not being "good?" I don't even know if the other hens get the protien they need. They do get to free range most of the day but still. It seems to me, and this could be coincidence, but all the rest of the hens started laying eggs the forth day that Queeny was in her "jail". Thats the first time I've gotten all 5 eggs from my 5 chickens. So what should I do? I put her back in "jail" to separate her again. Should I keep her in there again? If so, how long?

The last(3 yrs ago) time I used "chicken jail" it worked after about a week.
I just (1/2 hour ago) let another hen outta "jail" after 4 days. Hoping it works again. If not, the "jail" is still there.

Imp- Recidivism who knew?

I've had one in jail for a week and her attitude hasn't improved. She was always a sweetie and the lowest in our small flock, but top girl passed the same week 2 new hatched and Rosie (an EE) decided to make her move. it's been ugly.

I've had one in jail for a week and her attitude hasn't improved

What kind of chicken do you have? If she hasn't improved after a week that makes me wander if I should even keep mine in the jail if its pointless.​

I went ahead and let her out. If I see a decline in eggs from the other chickens from her stressing them then she's gone.

I've never had en evil chicken, though I only have a flock of 9. In my opinion, life's too short to put up with an evil chicken. I would call that one dinner! (Not spoken from experience you know)

Back
Top Bottom