Chicken Jugular Damaged, Bleeding out

Nov 19, 2017
Leduc County, Alberta
I got home to see my favorite chicken be completely covered in blood, apparently she had been attacked by another one of our chickens and was bleeding from her neck. My brother currently has her and is applying pressure to the wound, I don't know if she was pecked straight into the Trachea or not but I guess that's the worst case scenario. She is not looking great right now, heavy breathing, lost a lot of blood. I honestly don't know if she'll make it. We tried to put corn starch on the wound to stop the bleeding and that's helped and we've had it under pressure for about an hour and a half. The bleeding has slowed a lot but she still is not looking very good.

Here's some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    512.8 KB · Views: 15
Okay first thing's first. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but your favorite bird is not a girl. She's a he.

So now do you have any more cockerals or roosters? If so they were likely fighting over dominance.

How old is he? And how old are the rest of your birds? How many birds do you have?

What's your coop like and how much space do they have?

If you have no other cockerals or roosters my next thought is a predator. ...again questions about their coop and safety. Do they free range?

chickendreams24 is correct, you got yourself a cockerel/rooster :eek: Didn't notice it at first, seeing the wound. Being that chickendreams24 mentioned it, went back to see & saw ... He needs warmth, rest & quiet along with electrolytes & vitamins to build his strength back up. Best wishes...

Back
Top Bottom