Chicken jumped in pool

One of my chickens, fell in my pool and was in there for a long time before I got home and found her, it is summer here but it was raining. When I picked her up she fainted in my arms. Took her to the vet and she had hypothermia, had her under a heat lamp for 3 days. She is fine now, but was very very sick for a day or so after she fell in the pool!
I have a pond for my ducks. I had 4 Silkie hens get into the pond at different times. I took each hen into my house and wrap in a towel and then hold her to get warm followed by keeping the hen in a warm room until the next morning. Each hen learned to not go into the water after that. The roos didn't get into the water. I took down the portable pond for the winter but will put it up again this spring for my ducks. I plan to fence off the pond so the Silkies can't get into the pond. I will give the ducks a dry place to sit when not in the pond to eat and rest with access to their nesting box for laying eggs. I hope this works because I want to give the ducks a place to swim but protect the Silkies. Any thoughts on this plan?

Back
Top Bottom