Chicken just found in shed, likely locked up for 2 weeks. What to look for?

SuzanneMM

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2017
Hi! A couple of weeks ago we lost one of our ~year old golden red comet hens - she escaped the run and disappeared. Today I went to look in the shed for something and found her sitting in front of the door. Her comb was dark and floppy. She walked out, moving rather slowly. We got her a bowl of water that she has been drinking and her comb has been reviving, and looking redder. My son is looking for eggs, we found 2 so far. She has not let either of us catch her - and I didn't want to further stress her, so we didn't chase her much at all. I am looking for wisdom on what to look for. Is it safe to put her back with the other chickens? She does not look starved at all, just darker in coloration (slightly) guessing from dehydration and dirtiness in the shed. She seemed to be walking normally. I am particularly concerned about the possibility of being eggbound, or anything else that might come to mind from you more experienced chicken keepers. Thanks!

Was there any small opening that she could have escaped to get water or food? She needs water, and if you have electrolytes to add, great, if not plain water and a bowl of Gatorade or Pedialyte. If she won't take the electrolytes in either of those, just give her water. She must not eat until she has had plenty of fluid. I worry that she could be very dehydrated, and that can lead to kidney failure, and can also cause a sudden molt. Feel of her breast bone to check for weight loss. I would lock her into a dog crate with food and water (but just water now) and you can place it there or back in her coop. She will most likely be attacked by the other chickens if you just place her back with them. I am not sure how she survived that long without some water getting into the shed. Let us know how she gets along.

We caught her - she is definitely lighter, and her feet look almost white. She is currently in the garage (cool and contained) in a box with a bowl of water. Would some raw milk be good to give her for electrolytes and easily digestible nutrition?

I don't think there was anyway for her to get out, or we would have seen her in the yard. I'm guessing she survived on mice and shrews, as we have a plethora of those.

Milk is not good to give chickens all the time, but I have offered some that was outdated, and they do love it. Here is a good recipe for homemade electrolytes--just use what ingredients you have, and you can make a smaller portion:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION

1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon table salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1 gallon water

We gave her some leftover watermelon tonight, as she wasn't interested in the water as much as eating. Her comb has returned to a normal color, with just a hint of bluishness at the tips, and it looks like color is returning to her feet. She was able to jump out of the box earlier, so I put a cover over part of it, to discourage her from trying that. She seems to be doing pretty well.

Tonight when they went to lock up the chickens, my boys found that she had escaped from her private run. I went to help look for her, and we found that she had gotten herself back into the run with the other chickens. They were all peaceful, so I guess the reunification went well. But she's been trying to get back to them since we got her out. Thanks for you help!

Back
Top Bottom