Chicken just molting or sick?

Lafarmette

Chirping
Sep 29, 2017
hello everybody,
For the last two weeks two of my oldest (at 14 months) female chickens have been loosing a lot of their feathers. I thought they were just molting as it is fall. However, my one chicken who is a rainbow breed, seems to be excessively thirsty, her comb is so pale that it’s almost white, she appears to be losing weight and has explosive water type stools. Stools are brown, no blood noted. She is eating and roosting as normal. The other chicken that is an Asian Blue female that is loosing feather has no other symptoms. Is this normal for molting or is something’s my wrong? This is my first time experiencing this. Thank you for your input.

The comb shouldn’t be pale, sounds like she’s sick- that’s not from molting. Not sure from what, maybe someone here will have ideas, or take her to the vet if you have one who sees chickens. Good luck!

How’s your hen doing?
Not good, I brought her in my garage where It’s warm and quiet. she has stopped eating and even drinking has slowed. She sits in the same spot most of the time and poops where she sits. It green and very loose. She can get up and move if forced but otherwise she prefers to stay put. I’m trying some probiotics and electrolytes in her water and hoping for the best.

I’m sorry to hear she’s not doing well. Do you have a vet you can take her to? The pale comb is a concern, it may indicate anemia or poor circulation/ heart problem or an infestation of lice/ mites/ parasites.

Just an update, I took her to the vet today and decided to have her euthanized. She had multiple broken egg shells in her reproductive tract which they thought may have been caused by a tumor blocking the passage of the eggs. Ultimately this resulted in an infection and also was blocking the GI tract making it near impossible for her to eat. She is no longer suffering But I’m sad to see her go.

Just an update, I took her to the vet today and decided to have her euthanized. She had multiple broken egg shells in her reproductive tract which they thought may have been caused by a tumor blocking the passage of the eggs. Ultimately this resulted in an infection and also was blocking the GI tract making it near impossible for her to eat. She is no longer suffering But I’m sad to see her go.
I’m very sorry! :hugs:hugs

Awww I’m so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did the best thing you could for her, as that problem was pretty serious. But still, I know it’s sad. So very sorry!

Back
Top Bottom