Chicken just sitting, looks like it is falling asleep. dirty bottom

nappy501

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Hi all,
1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Rescued chicken, had since last August, rescued at 72 weeks.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Sitting in a corner, looks like she is falling asleep.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Last couple of days dirty bottom. When we cleaned it the vent was clean it was the feathers below that were coved in yellow/white mess.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Don't know of anything.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Not eating now. Tried bread she is not interested.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Not seen poop, but back feathers are messy. Yesterday we cleaned it off, but it is back again.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Today just water with a tiny amount of sugar and cider vinegar.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Yes, we will treat ourselves.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39355512@N00/sets/72157622065720156/

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Last August we got four rescue chickens within the week one died and Sprightly was the replacement. The nestbox is straw and the coop has wood chippings.

They all live together. Not sure what to do tonight as I only have the coop to put her in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39355512@N00/sets/72157606766125891/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39355512@N00/sets/72157606652246013/

Regards

You probably need to separate her from the flock put her in cage or container and keep her warm. I would put her on an poultry electrolyte solution or spark and try to tempt her with foods like meal worms or plain organic yogurt with chicken food mixed in it so it's a mash. My chickens love that. You can offer it up to her beak and lightly rub under her beak/throat area to encourage her to eat on her own. Keep monitoring her bottom for sticky bottom to make sure it doesn't cake shut. Anything you can do to get her to eat and drink is most vital then maybe think about an antibiotic if she still's sick. Hope she gets better!

I cannot see a close enough view to say for sure, but it looks like she may have lice/mites. Wash off and try to feel if it feels rather sandy, especially stuck to her feathers. If so, that "sand" is lice or mite eggs.

You will probably need to thoroughly bathe her in dog flea/tick shampoo according to the directions on the label. Water should be at a temperature that would be comfortable for you.

When done wrap her in a towel for about 15-20 minutes to absorb as much water as possible. Then put her under a heat lamp or use a hair dryer on low. I usually treat with ivermectin pour-on in hte wing-pit before the feathers are dry--so that it will absorb into the skin, not the feathers.

Hi,

Quote:
We have nowhere else to put her so I have made up a cardboard box with newspaper and straw in the bottom. She is in the kitchen and hasn't moved a muscle which if fine. I can't imagine a well chicken in the kitchen.

I would put her on an poultry electrolyte solution or spark

I will ask in the pet shop tomorrow about the poultry electrolyte solution, but don't hold out much hope.

and try to tempt her with foods like meal worms or plain organic yogurt with chicken food mixed in it so it's a mash.

I don't know where to get poultry meal worms, but I can try. Someone is going to try and get me some yoghurt tonight, I can mix that with the layers pellets.

My chickens love that. You can offer it up to her beak and lightly rub under her beak/throat area to encourage her to eat on her own. Keep monitoring her bottom for sticky bottom to make sure it doesn't cake shut.

Her vent appears clear.

I have given her bottom a little wash, but I didn't got too mad as it is the evening and I don't want her to catch a chill.

Anything you can do to get her to eat and drink is most vital then maybe think about an antibiotic if she still's sick. Hope she gets better!

Is an antibiotic something you can buy in the pet shop? Thank you.​

Quote:
I'm not sure what they would look like. I have seen head lice on children. I can't see anything near the root of the feathers and they don't feel rough. More photos hopefully these are better.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39355512@N00/sets/72157622065720156/

Wash off and try to feel if it feels rather sandy, especially stuck to her feathers. If so, that "sand" is lice or mite eggs.

I don't want to wash tonight, but will have a go tomorrow morning.
]You will probably need to thoroughly bathe her in dog flea/tick shampoo according to the directions on the label. Water should be at a temperature that would be comfortable for you.

Will try and get some from the pet shop in the morning.

When done wrap her in a towel for about 15-20 minutes to absorb as much water as possible. Then put her under a heat lamp or use a hair dryer on low.

Thank you for the advice.
I usually treat with ivermectin pour-on in hte wing-pit before the feathers are dry--so that it will absorb into the skin, not the feathers.

I don't know what this is? Will I be able to get it in the UK?​

Hi all,

It's 10 am in the morning here. I am going to bath the chicken. I just wanted to check before doing it again. Has anyone been able to look at the photos? Do you think she has lice/mites?

I don't like the idea of bathing her when she is already not well.

This morning she is a lot better, taking the water when offered. Not really taking the yoghurt with layers pellets.

She has stood up once, but apart from that she is still sat down. I presume she is not so dehydrated now.

I'm hoping for some more ideas on the photos. Thank you.

Regards

The yellow/white mess sounds like an egg laying problem, a broken or shelless egg that she is passing. Bathing for that is good as it helps her pass the rest of the material.

If you do think she has lice/mittes, I don't know what is used in the UK to treat that. Is there anything like a poultry dust in your feed store? Ivermectin is a cattle wormer that we can get in feed stores, and will also kill any lice/mites that bite, but I don't know whether you can get it or not.

On the FAQ page here there are links to threads about how to help hens with egg laying problems; sometimes we can help, sometimes not. Hopefully she just had an egg break and will be OK after she passes the rest of the contents. Sometimes you have to hep them get the shell pieces out.

Here is one thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32648&p=1

Good luck!

Quote:
It maybe egg, although my daughter says it smelt like not very nice poo.

Today we have dark green poo from her. I presume the yellow/white mess has gone, although her feathers are dirty again at the back.

If you do think she has lice/mittes, I don't know what is used in the UK to treat that. Is there anything like a poultry dust in your feed store?

I have come back from the pet shop, they said they don't sell antibiotics I would have to go to the vets for that. They had 'poultry spice' which I have and a liquid tonic, which I didn't bother to buy. I presume you would give that to well hens.

I had a discussion with the woman in the pet shop, she said it doesn't sound like lice/mites as I would be able to see them and all the birds would be scratching.

Ivermectin is a cattle wormer that we can get in feed stores, and will also kill any lice/mites that bite, but I don't know whether you can get it or not.

Right I see. The nearest feed store is in another village and I don't have any transport. There is probably something similar here.

On the FAQ page here there are links to threads about how to help hens with egg laying problems; sometimes we can help, sometimes not. Hopefully she just had an egg break and will be OK after she passes the rest of the contents. Sometimes you have to hep them get the shell pieces out.

Here is one thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32648&p=1

Good luck!

Right I shall go and have a look at that now. Thank you.

Although she is looking perkier she is still not getting up. I presume this is because she is not eating. She is having little bits of yoghurt with layers pellets in. Have tried stroking etc, but not working really.

I have bought some dried meal worms when I was out, so I will try a bit of that.​

Hi All,

Although we managed to keep her taking water and a little food. She never stood up.

Yesterday, I did bath her and I had a good feel around. I could feel her crop or an egg. She has just died and I really don't know what of.

So I will keep a close eye on the other three.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom