Chicken Keeps on Waking up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jossie2000, Nov 14, 2016.

1. jossie2000

jossie2000 New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    My chicken is currently around 3 months old and when she sleeps, she will randomly sqwak and jump up then shake her feathers. She does this multiple times throughout the day and I'm wondering, is that a normal thing for chickens to do?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Hard to say....she might have just had an itch....
    .....or might be growing some new feathers in at that age, pin feathers can be uncomfortable.
    Could have some bugs on her....might be a good idea to check that out.

But be very careful handling her if she's got pin feathers,
    not only are they uncomfortable, they are full of blood and if broken can bleed copiously.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
    Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
    Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
    Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.
    Also goggle for pics of pin feathers so you know what those look like.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by