chicken killed by hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hunterschickens, Dec 3, 2012.

1. hunterschickens

hunterschickens New Egg

Dec 3, 2012
    we have 7 chickens. one was killed by a hawk and the other 6 seperated and hid. We got them all back in coop. but now they seem hesitant to come out and when we did get them out they hide under pines and dig "holes" to sit in. is this normal. also, one is a rooster and he is now attacking my younger son. he was wearing all red....does that mean anything. are they attracted to red?
    we are new to all this and so upset about losing one.
    thanks for any help

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

First, a somber [​IMG]. Sorry about the hawk attack.

I would think that they would be more cautious, particularly if they all saw the attack. Sounds like harmless, normal behavior to me. Given a few days they will venture out more.

In regards to the roo, our roos attack me and I don't even own a red jacket, so I think it is just hormone-dependent aggression. I am sure it is nothing personal.

But chickens do seem to key off the color red, so maybe try an experiment and wear a different color? Post your results here, if you would.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. MorgansManor

MorgansManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Southwest Arkansas
    So sorry for your loss.
    Eventually your chickens will not be so afraid to come back out but it will take a few days. In the beginning I lost a rooster to a hawk and it was sooo sad but as my 6 year old said "it is just nature Mom". The good news to all this is now your other chickens will be looking out for the hawk and will run for cover. Also you did not say where you live in town but I live on 50 acres so I keep a .22 handy by the front door. I might not kill a hawk but I shot at them so they know they are not wanted here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by