chicken killed grass how to regrow?

rhodeislandred1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012
So my chicken coop is covered from all sides so basically not much sunlight can enter other than through the door.

We recently moved it from the pavement to the grass and now i'm seeing that the grass did not last long and my chicken has eaten every green stem there is to find.... Now what??What can I do to stimulate the grass growth again?

would maybe watering it and covering it with cardboard give it a break from the digging and chicken poop or will that kill it more?

You will never be able to grow grass anywhere the chickens have access to and are contained to unless it's a huge plot of land and a low number of birds... You instead need to focus on alternative ground coverings, like wood chips, straw, sand, gravel compost (deep litter) or simply roll with the bare ground...

Last edited:
Hello
I've personally never had this problem.

If you can't get enough sunlight to grow the grass again, and you really want grass in your run, plant some grass made for shade. Most hardware stores sell some type of grass seed designed for shaded areas. Doubt that it's gonna last long.

Not exactly sure what type of grass you're talking of, crab grass, etc.

As said in previous comments, using mulch/sand/gravel/compost mix would do the trick. I personally use a mixture of mulch and sand in my run. Does the trick.

Last edited:
hOI!
Our three chooks destroyed the grass a long time ago. Now we give them the left overs from mowing the grass elsewhere. They don't seem to mind though, they still find things to eat under the dirt.

I haven't started construction yet, but I'm planning a chicken tractor. I'll move the 4x8 tractor every couple of days to keep them from killing the grass. They will be my fertilizing, bug killing, breakfast makers.

My chicken roams free but I put her in the coop at night. Ya'll are right, I dont think grass is going to last long specifically in her coop, so I might try sand or mulch and see how it goes. Thank thank youuu!

Back
Top Bottom