Chicken killing chicks.

Guitarplayer7694

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Well I really don't know what to say other than.
I have Cuckoo Marans.
They just hatched some chicks(oldest 1 week, youngest 1 day).
One chicken is killing the chicks.
Why is she doing this? Is there anything to do about it?

If the killing chicken is not the mom, you've got to seperate them. Sometimes this happens. Broody moms , I thought kept their chicks safe from others in the field but there may not be enough room in the coop. There are always exceptions to the rule. Like my mother-in-law.

Quote:
I won't have to worry about mother-in-laws for a while.
But I digress, how would I separate them exactly? And when would it be safe for them to come back?

Last edited by a moderator:
The chickens will absolutely kill the chicks unless it's the momma. You need to get some sort of pen/enclosure set up for the momma and the babies. I converted a doghouse and built a small run onto it for my broody momma's and their babies. It has worked out quite nicely.
smile.png

7910_dsc03715.jpg

Quote:
So what you're saying is put all the mamas in there, then in a few days let them out? The only thing is one of the mamas is killing the other chicks. Ugh, why do chickens have to be so stupid? XD

Quote:
So what you're saying is put all the mamas in there, then in a few days let them out? The only thing is one of the mamas is killing the other chicks. Ugh, why do chickens have to be so stupid? XD

Oh well that explains it. And made me remember where Id heard about chickens killing chicks too. Here ya go, check out 'care of the new brood':

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-5.html

Quote:
Oh, I LOVE your dog house converted to a brooder house!

Thanks for sharing.

This has SO given me an idea of how i could make one!

Catherine

Quote:

No, no, no!
lol.png
You need to put the mama and her babies in there to get them away from the big chickens. Mama hen will take care of her babies. All you will need to do then is provide chick starter food and water for them.
wink.png

If you know which mama it is seprate her and her chickes from the rest of the flock. Pen her off somehow for she is being over protective of her chicks. You will not be able to let them back in till a month goes by and they are bigger. If you only do it for a couple of days it will not stop and might get worse. Your only other option is collect all the chicks get them inside in a brooder till they are 8 weeks old. Then put them back in the coop in their Own section not with there moms. They have to be slowy introduced back to them or then hens will go agter them all.

Back
Top Bottom