Chicken killing Fox!!!! HELP!!

No. Just no. Relocating wildlife is a bad idea, usually illegal, and is less humane than torturing the poor thing to death. Wildlife and game offices do not trap and relocate wildlife for the public. If they do, it is a huge waste of tax money. Usually they enforce the laws prohibiting wildlife relocation, and in the few backwards states that still allow it, they certainly aren't going to provide that service free of charge, when their job is to manage game for hunters. There are people that provide this service in the private sector, but you have to pay them, and they have to follow state laws on relocation, and most of the knowledgeable ones know better than relocating an animal because of the countless studies on how ineffective, or in some cases, dangerous or cruel, it is. The foxes that live out in whatever place it is that you suggest relocating to do not want your diseased and sick fox competing for their food until they can drive it to another chicken farm or to starvation. In the event that you actually put forth the effort to drive far enough that it won't be home by the next morning, which will take the better part of a tank of gas, it is likely to die a miserable death and take other innocent animals with it through whatever disease it harbors that the new location is not used to. Let me take you to North Korea and kick you out of the plane and see how you do. This is what it is like for relocated animals. Foxes are highly social. They will kill strangers at certain times of the year, and at others they will simply just out-compete them for food sources, as they have generations of acquired conditioning built up regarding what food sources there are in that area. Please consider flogging them to death with a section of garden hose before relocating, it would be a more humane end, and come much sooner.

While I agree with you that it's not a good idea to relocate, often illegal,
You make it sound like every critter that is trapped are "diseased or sick". Definitely not true...

I have a rottweiler that hangs out with my free ranging ducks and chickens. He is very good with them and he marks alot of our yard which helps keep things away. He stays in the house with us at night, but I lock my chickens and ducks up at night, so it works for us.
I've heard foxes are hard to get in a live bait trap. I haven't caught any in mine, but I have seen them on the game camera's. I'm not one for killing animals, but if an animal is gonna try and eat my flock, I'm gonna take them out.

No. Just no. Relocating wildlife is a bad idea, usually illegal, and is less humane than torturing the poor thing to death. Wildlife and game offices do not trap and relocate wildlife for the public. If they do, it is a huge waste of tax money. Usually they enforce the laws prohibiting wildlife relocation, and in the few backwards states that still allow it, they certainly aren't going to provide that service free of charge, when their job is to manage game for hunters. There are people that provide this service in the private sector, but you have to pay them, and they have to follow state laws on relocation, and most of the knowledgeable ones know better than relocating an animal because of the countless studies on how ineffective, or in some cases, dangerous or cruel, it is. The foxes that live out in whatever place it is that you suggest relocating to do not want your diseased and sick fox competing for their food until they can drive it to another chicken farm or to starvation. In the event that you actually put forth the effort to drive far enough that it won't be home by the next morning, which will take the better part of a tank of gas, it is likely to die a miserable death and take other innocent animals with it through whatever disease it harbors that the new location is not used to. Let me take you to North Korea and kick you out of the plane and see how you do. This is what it is like for relocated animals. Foxes are highly social. They will kill strangers at certain times of the year, and at others they will simply just out-compete them for food sources, as they have generations of acquired conditioning built up regarding what food sources there are in that area. Please consider flogging them to death with a section of garden hose before relocating, it would be a more humane end, and come much sooner.

Really.....? Less humane than torture? I think rehoming it is a lot better than torturing it, and a lot better than killing it... . don't believe everything you read.

I know you are an animal lover... so am I.. but nonetheless, I would trap it. Shooting it is good but too difficult. I would say it is time to toughen up buttercup.... If you want to have chickens, you are going to have to break a few eggs.... nature is going to have to make a little room for your chickens and you are going to have to make that happen. Mr. Fox will gladly eat every one of your chickens and your cat too if it is small enough. You are at the top of the food chain.... you should act like it. (I try to eat like it).

Turn on a radio to a talk show. The fox will stay away from human voices.

If you don't want to have a radio on all the time your chickens are out, you'll have to invest in electric fencing (which is my preference).
Had a fox try taking one of my girls this week. Does talk radio really work in keeping them away? I only free range while I near them, but I was cleaning out the coop when it attacked.

So sorry about your chickens....:hugs
Good luck with whatever you decide to protect your flock! I live in a wood area with lots of predators. I don’t free range and I also have dogs and horses that keep predators at bay at night.

Had a fox try taking one of my girls this week. Does talk radio really work in keeping them away? I only free range while I near them, but I was cleaning out the coop when it attacked.
Yes, I know it works, because that's what I've done in the past when I had a problem. They won't come on your property when they hear human voices.

Few weeks ago my cousins wife was having a bunch of people over to there farm for a friendly horse show. 15 people on horses, another 20 or so watching, and a fox runs into the side yard not 30’ from everyone and goes after thier chickens.

Highly doubtful a talk radio show would have had any effect. Fox was quicky shot, and it was a normal healthy fox. Well, minus the bullet hole.

When a sick fox came to my farm and killed ten nice hens one afternoon, he was within 60 to 90 feet of workmen next door, who watched the whole thing and did nothing. :mad:
I'm sure that they were talking, though! When the neighbors got home, and I saw the carnage, we all heard the story. That mangy fox returned the next day, at noon, but we didn't have a safe shot at him. He came within 30 ft. of us, talking (swearing!), and reluctantly ran off when we yelled.
I visited many of the neighbors within 1/2 mile, and a few days later, a neighbor 1/2 mile away, with chickens, was able to kill him.
This is about the radio story; I doubt that a serious predator will care about sounds, or flashing lights, for long.
Foxes are very difficult to live trap, and leg traps aren't a good alternative at all.
Good electric fencing, and a safe coop and run, and a nice hot electric fence are better choices.
And sometimes eliminating a predator is best too.
Mary

Sorry I have to agree with no relocating at all of any wild animals, it is illegal for a reason. I work for public health and the amount of money and man power spent to manage and control the spread of rabies is unreal- rabies bait drops, pet vaccine clinics, post-exposure prophylaxis to name a few, then there are monitoring/testing/baiting research programs. Just because an animal does not look sick the day you trap and release it does not mean that it has not been exposed and you could be spreading rabies to another area.

Back
Top Bottom