Chicken laid a few shell-less eggs

Jun 13, 2023
Hello! So my pullets started laying last Wed, so over a week ago. They all laid normal eggs off the bat, then two of them stopped laying about 3 days ago now reg shelled eggs, the two hv been plopping out shell-less. Is this normal in beginning of laying? Is there a time frame on when they will lay normal again? They laid normal for 6 days straight. Anything I should be concerned about? Here's what I feed them:
Organic layer feed by nutrena
Poultry grit
Oyster shells
Black solider larvae
It's been super hot here upper 90s (mid central FL) so I give them some ice water on a shallow tray and put blueberries or watermelon or what hv u in the water. I'm thinking it's the heat as they are eating plenty of calcium and all. They forage as well for a few hours each day

Totally normal. They stop and start and lay weird eggs. Just make sure you keep the protein and calcium ratios at good levels.

And hens can stop laying if they get too hot.

Cucumbers are supposed to lower body temperature.

Put up misters. Chooks don't sweat, they shed heat through the comb, waddles and feet. Having a space with cool damp ground can help. A mister on a fan can lower Temps significantly.

I put water a pool mattress, folded it in a box, put sand on it and covered it with astro-turf, then covered it with hay and pine shavings. The water keeps the box very cool and the hens like the cool dimly lit space and lay in it. ....some try to bogart the spots all day.

It's common for new layers to have not normal eggs.
I say just give it a week or so and see if their eggs go back to normal, if not then it may be of concern

No shell at all, no membrane, just a yolk and whites coming out???

Electrolytes and a big ice block....rather than too many cool foods.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/
Membrane was there. They laid all normal today so yay! I hv been giving them ice water daily cause it's so hot.
It's common for new layers to have not normal eggs.
I say just give it a week or so and see if their eggs go back to normal, if not then it may be of concern.
They all laid today normal!

Totally normal. They stop and start and lay weird eggs. Just make sure you keep the protein and calcium ratios at good levels.

And hens can stop laying if they get too hot.

Cucumbers are supposed to lower body temperature.

Put up misters. Chooks don't sweat, they shed heat through the comb, waddles and feet. Having a space with cool damp ground can help. A mister on a fan can lower Temps significantly.

I put water a pool mattress, folded it in a box, put sand on it and covered it with astro-turf, then covered it with hay and pine shavings. The water keeps the box very cool and the hens like the cool dimly lit space and lay in it. ....some try to bogart the spots all day.
Great ideas! Ty! Yes I give them cold cucumbers and watermelon for extra hydration n help them cool down. And ice water. They all laid normal today!

Back
Top Bottom