Chicken laid her first egg

Prettyinpink

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2021
My silkie Hattie, has laid her first egg but silly question now what do I do with it? Apart from the obvious (eat it) but do I clean it first? Where do I keep it?
I'm so very new to this, I feel so out of my depth at the moment

Congratulations! The first egg is always exciting!
Don't clean eggs. It takes off the protective layer that stops bacteria going through the shell. Buy some egg boxes online or buy some eggs (in a box) from the shop, you can put your eggs in the eggboxes and into the fridge!

You can clean it or not clean it depending on how you feel about it. I don't clean eggs unless they're visibly dirty. My SIL absolutely will NOT use an unwashed egg, not matter how perfect and pristine. I leave them on the counter for a few days then put them in the refrigerator if I haven't used them quickly.

If you do clean it, use water that is slightly warmer than the egg and rub it gently then refrigerate it promptly since you've removed the protective bloom along with the dirt.

A lot of people, and I'm one of them, blow out the first egg to preserve the shell. :)

Congratulations it's very exciting . I Don't wash them they have a layer on them called "bloom". I don't even refrigerate for a few weeks if in house with ac. But once their in fridge they must stay in fridge. Ask around a lot of people save their old cartons for me.

Back
Top Bottom