Chicken laid two soft eggs.

CinnamonQueen12

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
I went to check on my chickens before I went to bed and I noticed that one of my Ameraucanas had her tail up high, her bottom down low, and she appeared to be straining. I recognized the eggnlaying position, but she was on the roosting bar, so I wondered if she was constipated or something, if chickens can get constipated. Then I noticed a speck of blue sticking out of her behind and caught he egg before it splatted on the floor. It was a very thin shelled egg, and I dented it easily. I turned away for a moment, and the next thing I now, another one fell from her hinder regions and exploded on the pine shavings. It had no shell, just a thin membrane that ruptured easily. I'm concerned that something is seriously wrong. She is only about 23ish weeks old, but her and her siblings are in my basement as they hatched late and it has been too cold to put them outside. There are no nesting boxes in the enclosure they are in, but that doesn't seem to bother the other chickens; they just lay in a corner. Why did the Ameraucana lay two soft eggs within minutes?

Back
Top Bottom