Chicken laws in Citrus County FL

BadKneeBob

Hatching
Jan 22, 2022
Need help finding regulations on raising chickens in Citrus County Fl. Was on the county website TRYING to find info on zoning, (AG vs. residential) outbuildings, space requirements, how much land, Etc. Not easy / user friendly. Last resort will go to building/ zoning in person, just trying to avoid that. Thanks in advance to anyone that may know or have info on where to look or Ordn. #'s Bob

Citrus County Code of Ordinances

Chapter 14, Chickens are considered Fowl, Fowl are considered Livestock

Chapter 18 - Building Regs

Here's the Land Use Code

Do you know the zoning for your current property, or are you considering buying a different parcel? The County did not make its code as easily searchable as one would hope.

Chapter 3 - Use Standards, has some of what you are looking for. (3210, 3730, etc)

Hope that gets you started. I've helped with "a few" of these requests, you learn what and where to look pretty quick.

Need help finding regulations on raising chickens in Citrus County Fl. Was on the county website TRYING to find info on zoning, (AG vs. residential) outbuildings, space requirements, how much land, Etc. Not easy / user friendly. Last resort will go to building/ zoning in person, just trying to avoid that. Thanks in advance to anyone that may know or have info on where to look or Ordn. #'s Bob
In Pinnepas/Pasco, if you have an HOA the law is 4 hens, no rooster. I got mine registered as emotional support so they couldn’t be taken away even if someone called. (They couldn’t be taken away because they were in all the guidelines). If you want to register them I can find the card of the lady who registered mine😁 i don’t remember how much it was to pay. Good luck! I know for sure that no HOA means however many you want, and Roos. I’m in a ”urban“ neighborhood and we have 9 chickens plus a roo. hope this was some help! Good luck!

An acquaintance lives in one (guessing a more restrictive one). Had to turn in paint color tiles and paint a sample on the house. Went through nine before approval.
"A Community of Commonality" - as if they want to live in an area where everyone's home looks like it was assembled by the same builder, in the same style, with the same palette... and yes, HOAs/POAs can vary widely in their restrictions - about the only point of commonality is that they are more (and often, much more) restrictive than the municipality in which they are found.

"A Community of Commonality" - as if they want to live in an area where everyone's home looks like it was assembled by the same builder, in the same style, with the same palette... and yes, HOAs/POAs can vary widely in their restrictions - about the only point of commonality is that they are more (and often, much more) restrictive than the municipality in which they are found.
Sometimes I drive through a new development (business on one end; housing the other) makes a nice cut through, but all are the same. Join them and it'd be an apartment complex. Even w/o HOA, the lots are too small to meet set backs. It's disappointing what people will accept.
Parcel?

Sometimes I drive through a new development (business on one end; housing the other) makes a nice cut through, but all are the same. Join them and it'd be an apartment complex. Even w/o HOA, the lots are too small to meet set backs. It's disappointing what people will accept.

Parcel?
"Property"

Out in my neck of nowhere, there are "subdivisions" where each owner has a 5, 10, 25, or even 50 acre lot. They are part of Property Owner Associations, often responsible for the maintenance of their own "roads", and the POAs set rules about hunting on their lands, allowed livestock, permitted deforestation, homestead and barn/outbuilding archetecture and sizing, etc.

Of course, I am not part of one.

"Property"

Out in my neck of nowhere, there are "subdivisions" where each owner has a 5, 10, 25, or even 50 acre lot. They are part of Property Owner Associations, often responsible for the maintenance of their own "roads", and the POAs set rules about hunting on their lands, allowed livestock, permitted deforestation, homestead and barn/outbuilding archetecture and sizing, etc.

Of course, I am not part of one.
Thank you. As far as I know, it's just the road for me.

HOA rules can be more restrictive than the laws of the city/county/State in which you are zoned. Joining an HOA by moving to a property under its control is, effectively, agreeing that each and all of your neighbors have say over your use of your own property. I made an instructive post regarding HOAs/POAs some time ago, it may be found here.
HOA rules cannot supersede Federal or State Laws. If an HOA says you can't have dogs but you need a service dog the HOA loses. Period. Emotional Support animals also trump those rulings as well but they aren't designated as a true emotional support animal unless a licensed or properly credentialed healthcare provider writes a letter designating them as such. Many people offer services where they write letters saying someone's animal is an ES animal but they are not legally binding unless they are a licensed clinician. HOA's are not all powerful and they have limitation as to what they can and can't bully people into doing.

In other words if an HOA says you can't have chickens and your psychiatrist says they are part of your treatment the HOA loses.

Back
Top Bottom