Chicken laws in Hutto, TX

For those of you here in Hutto who have backyard chickens, do you mind telling me if you are in a neighborhood with an HOA or not (or which neighborhood?) I would like to get some and my neighbors shouldn't mind (our yards are so big I doubt they would even notice them), but I am just a little leery of the HOA...any advice?
Thanks! :)

I'm in Round Rock, so not quite Hutto (but close enough, HI NEIGHBORS! :frow )
We have an HOA but and the president lives on our street...they don't seem to mind. We made sure to go around to the neighbors before we got them and ask permission (and we also bribed them with fresh eggs lol). We also don't have a rooster. We have yet to have any problems! I'm sure you could make it happen in in Hutto!

Since I am now living in Hutto, I thought I'd update this thread with the official wording from the City Ordinance..... Unfortunately, my HOA does not allow for the keeping of "livestock", which includes fowl/poultry. Boo!

Sec. 4.04.001 Limitations on number of fowl; keeping roosters prohibited

(a) This article shall not apply to property with a legal nonconforming agricultural tax exemption.

(b) It shall be unlawful to own or keep fowl within the corporate limits of the city unless the number is limited and they are kept in enclosed pens as set forth below:

(1) If fowl are confined within an enclosed pen which is located a hundred (100) feet or more from any building or dwelling occupied by any person other than the owner of the fowl, the number of fowl is limited to no more than ten (10).

(2) If fowl are confined within an enclosed pen which is located less than a hundred (100) feet but more than fifty (50) feet from any building or dwelling occupied by any person other than the owner of the fowl, the number of fowl is limited to no more than five (5).

(c) It shall be unlawful to own or keep roosters within the corporate limits of the city.

(Ordinance 10-003-00 adopted 3/4/10)

I see these posts all the time on here and can’t understand why because I ALSO see plenty of threads titled “HOA says I have to get rid of my chickens!!! HELP!!!”

If you’re in a HOA and their rules/the CC&Rs governing your lot forbid chickens then DO NOT GET CHICKENS. HOA/CC&Rs trump City Ordinances so even if the City is cool with it, odds are your HOA isn’t and if that’s the case then there’s nothing you can do except try to get 67% of the property owners in the subdivision to show up to a meeting to change the rule, (good luck). Going around to your neighbors and asking first is crazy because you’re just telling them in advance that you’re breaking the rules. If you ever get in any kind of disagreement with them, all they have to do to get back at you is call the HOA and turn you in. Plus let’s just say they’re all cool with you and remain that way long-term, what happens when one of them sells their home? Realtors have been known to report neighboring properties to the HOA in the belief that chickens next door can make it harder to sell a home.

It’s not a matter of “if” it will happen, only “when”. If your HOA/CC&Rs forbid chickens and you get chickens then unless the rules change at some point, eventually you’re going to get busted and have to get rid of them. You may last 6 years or 6 months or 6 weeks but you’re going to get busted, so why waste all the time/money/work when you know that already?

Long story short, since you know the City allows them, find out if your HOA/CC&Rs forbid chickens. If they do, (and if you’re in a HOA they most likely forbid them), either get 67% of your neighbors to vote to change the rule, sell your house and move somewhere where you can have them, or stay where you are and deal with not being able to have them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom