Chicken Laying at 11 weeks old?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HomeByBonnie, Aug 16, 2013.

1. HomeByBonnie

HomeByBonnie In the Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Dayton Ohio
    Out to the nest boxes I did go when my hubby was asking if we had any eggs yet for breakfast. So far I have 4 girls who are laying 3 brown egg layers and a green.

The other chickens I have are 11 weeks old and 8 weeks old.

In the nest box today I found for the first time a white egg and it is as big as my usual layers.

Do I have an early bloomer? Or can a chicken have an off day and lay a white egg?

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I really doubt it. I've never heard of a layer at 11 weeks and if it did the egg would be tiny.

3. redstar14

redstar14 Chirping

Aug 13, 2013
    Its most likely from the green egglayer because the average chicken starts laying at 20 to 26 weeks

4. HomeByBonnie

Jan 2, 2013
    Dayton Ohio
    I must have struck lucky with all my girls laying around by 18 weeks!

Any idea what would cause a chicken to lay a white egg?

Pat which I'm guessing is a brown leghorn has been sitting in the nest box for a week as well as letting me pet her and pick her up which has just been a recent happening.

Maybe I'll know better if this happens more often.

Cluck Norris my green egg layer. She has a nest box which she prefers and had an egg in it this morning. The white one was found in the other nest box which I find eggs in.

5. HomeByBonnie

Jan 2, 2013
    Dayton Ohio
    That's what I would think too! The only oddity was a couple evening ago I had found an egg without a shell on the coop floor. Never had one of those before.

6. redstar14

redstar14 Chirping

Aug 13, 2013
    About the egg without a shell you need to put crushed oyster shells or eggshells in the pen

Ive never heard of a chicken laying different colored eggs might have a special chicken

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Soft/shell less eggs happen with new layers. They're still getting their reproductive tracts in sync.

The white could be from any of them. It just didn't get a coat of paint. All shells are basically white with a coat of paint. Blue/green/olive/khaki have blue mixed with the shell so that chemical could have been absent during the hours it spent in the shell gland.

8. redstar14

redstar14 Chirping

Aug 13, 2013
    Or if they need more calcium thus the oyster shells

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2.
    I was assuming the OP was feeding properly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: