Chicken Laying Blody Eggs without Yolks

AllisonM

Chirping
Aug 26, 2016
We have one chicken laying these eggs that don't have formed yolks and have some blood in them. I think it's our broody buff orpington. Is this a sign of infection?

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_100634.jpg
    IMG_20190922_100634.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 14
Looks like there's yolk material in there, but it looks scrambled.
I've had a hen that her yolk cases were weak and half her eggs the yolk would bust when you cracked the egg, and the other half would be broken inside shell before cracking egg.

I once had a hen who laid eggs with blood in them, and had both yolk and albumen. That can be a common defect when a small blood vessel has been ruptured during the egg formation. There can be several possible causes that are listed in this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
My hen started having this issue with each egg until she finally stopped laying at the age of 2 years.

I once had a hen who laid eggs with blood in them, and had both yolk and albumen. .
I have also got a hen that lays bloody eggs. I have learned to crack them in a separate bowl because you never know. These aren't small blood streaks or little "meat" balls. I am glad to know I am not the only one. I had to stop giving her eggs to friends because it freaked them out. - truthfully, it freaks me too.

Back
Top Bottom