Chicken laying eyes closed

I would keep trying to offer fluids and mushy wet chicken feed if she wakes up enough to eat. Sugar water or gatorade can be dribbled into the beak a little at a time. But I suspect that you are going to lose her. It is hard to take a guess, but the symptoms could point to coccidiosis, eating something toxic or moldy, or even Mareks disease. Since it is Thursday, you would need to have her body to the state lab by Friday morning to get a necropsy. They are closed on weekends. I would call them and ask about hours, prices for a backyard bird, and prepaid labels. It sounds like you have something either contagious or toxic in your environment.

From what I recall from a book. if your bird dies, put her on dry ice because regular ice damages tissue. And send her or drive her to a necropsy lab. I think they normally do it for little or no payment because they are interested for the sake of commerical chicken farmers

Thanks everyone. She didn't make it. We're going to send her out to a lab nearby. My husband had contacted them with one of the other chickens and we didn't send her but we decided we're going to this time. They told us to refrigerate her until we can mail it. They'll do one for $58 and they'll do a second chicken also included if we have more than one. Hopefully the Australorp pulls through. She's been hobbling herself in and out of the coop so I'm hoping that's a good sign she'll pull through.

Refrigeration is the correct way to preserve her until you can get her there, not freezing. The sooner she gets there the better, things start to degrade.
I'm so sorry you lost her, but the necropsy should provide you answers and valuable information. Please let us know what they say.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom