chicken laying first egg trouble

AmyTx101

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 11, 2012
My other chicken dorothy has been laying non stop all week.. well blanche decided to try to lay her first egg.. went out there a few times still sitting in nest.. well came back out and she was walking around looked in her nest no egg.. well she has had some clear- and milky discharge all day.. about an hour ago she started to push again and shes not i her nest.. all i see when she pushes is red no blood like a swollen vent and some poo.. is this about to prolapse on me or is she still trying to get it out.. i have water heating up for a warm bath.. do i need to isolate her as well and keep her in a dark place so she wont try to lay another egg if this one comes out.. she is now on her perch just sitting there making chicken noises and she is still eating and drinking just fine i got a video and im afraid she may be egg bound.. im assuming if she is eggbound on her first egg she will do it again right?

Last edited:
looks like egg bound. You don't need to isolate yet. Lubricate her vent with vegetable oil by sticking your finger in there. Sometimes the first egg is big and can be a problem.
The hot bath is a good idea. Do that first and then lube, dry her off and let her be in the nest for a while.

Last edited:
yea my other hen it took her so long and it was the biggest one we have had since.. ok.. will do that.. all i have is olive oil will that work

ok so i gave her the bath and tried to lubricate her best i could.. she kept doing what she was in the video.. my neighbor who grew up around chickens came iover with a soft syringe dropper and we put olive oil in it and put it in her vent.. still didnt work so my neighbor put her gloves on and went in there she felt the egg kind of slid her finger around the egg to help and when she pulled her finger out one push and she laid her egg.. Yea!!! i certainly hope she doesnt do it again but atleast i know what to look out for.. I sat out there all day with her taking care of her and hand feeding her.. and it all paid off.. she is extremely tired tonight but is sleeping soundly with her sisters all nustled up against her.. thanks so much for the advice it certainly worked

Back
Top Bottom