Chicken laying multiple eggs in a day

Hholt

Chirping
Mar 16, 2019
I have what I believe to be an Easter egger. It’s the only one I have that doesn’t lay white or brown eggs. The last two days in a row she has laid 3 eggs a day. The day before that was the first day she laid an egg. Is this normal? Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited that she’s laying so many, but I don’t want her to be unhealthy or anything.

I have what I believe to be an Easter egger. It’s the only one I have that doesn’t lay white or brown eggs. The last two days in a row she has laid 3 eggs a day. The day before that was the first day she laid an egg. Is this normal? Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited that she’s laying so many, but I don’t want her to be unhealthy or anything.
That doesn't sound possible. Are you positive you don't have another hen laying blue eggs? Are they fully developed eggs?

As far as I can tell she is my only chicken that’ll lay anything other than a white or brown egg. I have leghorns, Rhode Island reds, golden sex links, and then my one Easter Egger. I find the colored eggs in the nesting box everyday so I know they are emptied daily so I’ve ruled out forgetting one from the day before.

How many chickens do you have total and how many eggs total are you finding per day? If you are getting more eggs than you have hens, somebody is slipping eggs in and pulling your leg. It is nearly impossible for a chicken to lay more than 1 normal egg per day. There is a very, very slim chance of a chicken laying 1 normal and 1 abnormal egg in a 24hr period, but it can't be ruled out completely. Watch the video above. It completely explains how eggs are formed, how long it takes per egg, and why it takes as long as it does.
The world record for the hen that had layed the most eggs in 1 year is only 364. That's almost 1 egg per day. But not 2.
:hugs

When you say colored eggs (not counting white or brown), are they all the exact same shade of blue? Or are they different colors like blue, green, pink, plum? If you have just 1 EE, it should only give you one color, day in and day out.
If you're getting multiple colors one of 2 things are happening. 1. some of your other chickens could have EE (or another colored egg breed)in them. 2. Someone is getting their kicks by slipping colored "easter eggs" in the nests. I've even heard of jack asses putting hard boiled eggs in nests to mess with chicken keepers.

To be honest, when I was about 10, the neighbor boy (who had chickens) and I played a prank on his mom over a couple weeks. We were making some Muscadine wine and decided to dye some eggs. We started out just barely coloring one, but dyed them just a little darker everyday till the were pretty dark. We would always take an egg with us when we left that new colored egg so there would never be too many eggs. We finally got busted about 3 weeks later when she took a couple eggs to church to see if anyone else had ever seen eggs like those. Billy had told this girl he liked that he had thought about it as a prank and she spilled the beans on us. Luckily we didn't get a whooping, at least not that time. The whooping came from the hard boiled egg prank! :lau

Back
Top Bottom