Chicken laying question from a newb

Goldsgirl9

Chirping
Jul 19, 2020
Hi Friends! Our flock finally started laying eggs. It’s been exciting to say the least. Here is my question, do chickens always lay their eggs in the same box?

Here is why I ask. We have 3 nesting boxes. For about a week, one of my gold sexlinks has been laying an egg, almost daily, in the same box. As of a few days ago, one of my cream legbars started laying. She lays an egg in a different box than the sexlink but the same box each time. This morning, I found a very small light brown egg in the same box my cream legbar lays her eggs in. So I’m wondering if another hen laid her first egg today. Does that sound like it might be the case? Sorry if this is a silly question but I am new to this and didn’t find much help via Google.

They swap around. Mine all seem to want to lay in the same box but if they can't get in it they will lay in the one beside it. Out of 4 boxes my 11 birds normally lay in 2 boxes
Thank you. Would a hen that’s been laying a consistent size and color suddenly have a small, much lighter egg?

Back
Top Bottom