Chicken laying soft

This is many times the reason. What are you feeding your chickens??
One easy way to correct insufficient calcium,,, is to offer cracked oyster shells free-choice. Another way and readily available is,,,,,, offer all your egg shells back to your hens.. I do this also. :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

So first, the Barastoc Golden yolk is only 15% protein, they need much more than that. This food is also a “layer feed” most of time being new to chicken keeping, you get layer feed because that’s what chickens do, lay eggs. But you have to look at how much protein is in the food. I did this too, my chickens were on 16% layer feed and then i switched to a 20% flock raiser feed because it has more protein in it, which is what they need.

By shell grit do you mean chick grit? Or something else?

Oyster shells and giving them their egg shells back crushed up are for calcium to help with strong egg shells.

I recommend trying to switch their feed to a flock raiser feed that has 20% protein (not sure what you have in australia) and have oyster shells on the side in a separate feeder so they can pick at it when they need it!

Hey so, I put some shell grit into the food to boost their calcium levels, they have been roaming around the backyard, doing normal chicken feed, they also have apple cider vinegar in the water to help them. How long should it take to see results?

What happens if I don't see changes? What's the next step, should I get a separate container and put it in there?

Hey so, I put some shell grit into the food to boost their calcium levels, they have been roaming around the backyard, doing normal chicken feed, they also have apple cider vinegar in the water to help them. How long should it take to see results?

What happens if I don't see changes? What's the next step, should I get a separate container and put it in there?
I would just watch and see how egg production is going and if your getting shelled eggs or not.

If anything doesn’t progress i would ump their feed up to 20% flock raiser and put oyster shells in a separate feeder.

Be careful using the apple cider vinegar and not give them too much because that can also be a cause of the soft shell eggs. Also not sure what you mean by shell grit?

I would just watch and see how egg production is going and if your getting shelled eggs or not.

If anything doesn’t progress i would ump their feed up to 20% flock raiser and put oyster shells in a separate feeder.

Be careful using the apple cider vinegar and not give them too much because that can also be a cause of the soft shell eggs. Also not sure what you mean by shell grit?

Hey, so I only put 2 plastic bottle capsizes into the water, here is a picture of shell grit
large-shell-grit-medium-25kg.jpg

Hey, so I only put 2 plastic bottle capsizes into the water,
That is correct amount for one gallon of water. Many peeps only give ACV water once per week. I don't think ACV water is intended to be given daily.

I never needed to, so never gave any of my chickens ACV.

Keeping chickens for over 20 years now... Small flock,,, and only as pets. All my chickens live long lives. My current oldest living is 9+ years old. Had one that lived to be 13.

That is correct amount for one gallon of water. Many peeps only give ACV water once per week. I don't think ACV water is intended to be given daily.

Keeping chickens for over 20 years now... Small flock,,, and only as pets. All my chickens live long lives. My current oldest living is 9+ years old. Had one that lived to be 13.

Nice, have you ever had soft eggs? If so how did you fix it and how long did it take to fix it?

Alright, I'll limit out on the ACV by not putting a lot on let's hope she lays normally!

Nice, have you ever had soft eggs? If so how did you fix it and how long did it take to fix it?
In the 20 year stretch,, I can remember less than 10 times, soft eggs. I think it would occur 1 or 2 and then correct itself.
BTW,, since day one,,,,of my chicken keeping,, I always gave the empty egg shells back to the chickens. I remember my mom doing that when I was a Lil Snipe about 8 years old... in a different land and different time.
Then at age 8 we moved to the city and no more chickens for many many years,, until got the backyard chickens as pets.

Back
Top Bottom