Chicken leg quivers when being held

Oct 2, 2020
One of my chicken (attacked by a hawk months ago but has been fully healed for at least 2 months) quivers/spasms her leg when being held. Additionally, she is always the last the leave the coop and sometimes doesnt come out for minutes after everyone got out. Her head is usually tucked into her body while she stands (in the morning) but she is not lethargic (runs around a bunch and is pretty much normal after a few minutes in the morning).

Does anyone know what is going on? Can I help treat this in any way?

Did she quivered before the hawk attack?
Some of mines do this too, but i always thought it was normal!
No she did not. But she is generally ok like 99% of the time. Just when being held and in the morning she is a bit hesitant. It can’t be that she is still scared right?

I didnt see the hawk attack but the only damage done minimal on the inner right breast. The shock kept her pretty jaded for around 3 days tho. The leg she quivers is also the right leg.

Do you think i need to treat her in any additional way? it doesnt affect her sleep/eating/anything else though (though on occasion she is hesitant to eat treats when others are eating).

Uhm... i think that if i were you, i wouldn't treat it.
maybe she could be still scared, they are pretty sensible to shock..
@Wyorp Rock what do you think of this?:highfive:

There could be nerve damage from the attack. My dog recovered from partial paralysis but ended up with nerve damage as a result and her back leg always quivers and shakes (I know, not a chicken but still nerves are nerves). If she’s fine otherwise, I wouldn’t worry at all.

One of my chicken (attacked by a hawk months ago but has been fully healed for at least 2 months) quivers/spasms her leg when being held. Additionally, she is always the last the leave the coop and sometimes doesnt come out for minutes after everyone got out. Her head is usually tucked into her body while she stands (in the morning) but she is not lethargic (runs around a bunch and is pretty much normal after a few minutes in the morning).

she is generally ok like 99% of the time. Just when being held and in the morning she is a bit hesitant
Do you think i need to treat her in any additional way? it doesnt affect her sleep/eating/anything else though (though on occasion she is hesitant to eat treats when others are eating).
Hard to say, but probably if she only does it when being held, she's nervous or it's the way she's held. Does she need to be held?

Being hesitant to eat treats around the others sounds like normal behavior coming from a low in pecking order bird.

I would just monitor her - you report she's active/eating/drinking, etc.

It's okay ..it's also a part of muscle healing some muscles need time to heal

Back
Top Bottom