Chicken leg slightly twisted

I hope it's not any of those diseases, her leg only got bad after one of the kids pulled it with a string, so I think when her leg got pulled maybe something tore.

Okay thanks for the tip, I feel so bad for the pullet, she hops while she runs, and she tried to jump to a perch but she couldn't. Today she'll be going in a smaller cage but she'll still be in the run so she can be with the others.
Yesterday she made a huge fuss about being alone.

I think maybe she needs some brace or splint but I'm not sure.

Thanks again for your help.

I'm going through the same thing. I'm going to try to rig something up like that. How did things turn out for your chicken?

Well it just wasn't getting better so last week we rang up a couple of vets (despite everyone telling us not to) to see if they treated chickens and to compare prices. We managed to find one that was a lot cheaper ($40) than other vets and also treated chickens so we took her there.

They said that her ligament was torn, which is bad news because there isn't much they could do about that. But they put in a little splint and bandaged it to keep her leg from bending inwards.
I regret not going to the vet earlier, they said if we came earlier they could of treated it better as pullets grow quickly and if a bone or ligament is damaged it can set that way.

Because of the bandage her movement was limited so we didn't put her in a separate cage and the other chickens are very nice ones, they don't pick on her at all.
Instead of allowing her to roost we just kept her in the nesting box and and I think she understands that she has to sleep there for a while.
Although at first she did try to roost but fell/flew off. Poor thing.

Though only yesterday we took the bandage off and we saw they used a small twig as a splint and the bandage was wrapped rather too tightly as her foot was swollen.

Now that the bandage is off, her foot swelling has gone completely but she still can't walk properly, at this stage we don't really know what we can do.

The problem is, is that the ligament on one side of the knee is damaged so her leg isn't straight, it bends in slightly. I don't know what type of brace or splint could help that, or if we just leave it.

Back
Top Bottom