Chicken lethargic post-lice, other chickens not laying

queenef

Hatching
May 7, 2024
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Cinnamon Queens, about 1 year old
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
1 hen is spending most of her day sleeping, droopy comb, the other hens seem mostly normal, but many have pale combs, none are laying.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I first noticed the lethargic hen on Saturday, though it's possible she was struggling earlier.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
See number 2.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
They all had severe lice infestation. I first treated them all a week and a half ago, and have done a second treatment. I am not seeing lice on them now.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
See 5
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I have seen her drinking. I have not seen her eating from the feeder, but I have been bringing her some things from the kitchen (like beef liver), which she does eat. She does seem to be perkier today.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I have not seen her poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Just been trying to make sure she is drinking, trying to bring her some extra nourishing foods.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to treat her (and the others) myself. I am mostly wondering two things - first, how long does it take chickens to return to egg laying after a lice infestation? Second, what should I be giving them to help restore strength and good health?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Old wooden shed, hay (but the coop is currently mostly bare dirt - I have not put hay back in since treating for lice, so that I could continue to re-treat). They roost on old wooden shelves or in their nesting boxes.

We feed layer pellets from a local grainery - 20 percent protein

Baths in warm water with neem oil

To me it seems to be a poultry mite infestation leaving the birds anemic from severe blood loss and not lice.
Lice alone would not cause the symptoms you describe.

The coop including nest boxes would need to be treated and all the bedding removed and burned.

We did remove and burn, and remove via trash all the bedding, and have cleaned the nesting boxes and coop, more than once.

I am really wondering what can I do to help them return to full health?

We feed layer pellets from a local grainery - 20 percent protein

Baths in warm water with neem oil

We did remove and burn, and remove via trash all the bedding, and have cleaned the nesting boxes and coop, more than once.

I am really wondering what can I do to help them return to full health?
I agree, it sounds like you are dealing with Mites.

Getting a fecal float to rule out worms would be a good idea too.
If the infestation was heavy, then this affected their health, it will take time to recover. Fresh feed, fresh water. Vitamins can be helpful a few times a week. Getting rid of the mites and keeping the hens from re-infestation will go a long way into them getting back to full health.

I'd get a permethrin based poultry spray and treat the housing making sure to get into nooks/crannies and roosting bars.
The hens can also be treated with the spray.
For mites, repeat treatment in 5 day intervals.

If possible, get a fecal float to see if they need deworming as well.

Back
Top Bottom