Chicken Library?

Branch Chickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
China, Maine
Hello all! We are starting out with our first flock in late April, and I'm curious to know what your go-to chicken books/references are.
I currently own Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and The Chicken Encyclopedia (also by Gail Damerow).

I love Storey's Guide and I recommend these too:
"The Small-Scale Poultry Flock " by Harvey Ussery
"The Joy of Keeping Chickens" by Jennifer Megyesi

I have read a LOT of chicken books, since I am a librarian, but those 3 books are the best IMO informational wise.

Of course I've learned SO much from this site, much more than I've ever pulled from a book. So don't forget you can refer to this site too!

I am LOVING this site!
Thank you for the recommendations. Librarians are the best
smile.png

Do you have any suggestions for books on chicken health?

There is a book called "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow and Jeanne Smith DVM, it's very detailed with about every disease you can think of. The only problem is, reading it makes you suspicious of any tiny thing your bird does...so just keep in mind that your birds will most likely never get infected with 90% of the diseases in that book, if you practice decent bio-security.

Thank you RCHD and Linda! I had wondered about the Chicken Health Handbook, but it seemed from the reviews like maybe it was a little beyond what I would need.
And I hadn't even thought about looking the text of older books online. What a great idea!

You could go to your local library and check out their poultry books and then decide what books you want to buy.
Absolutely!!

Most of them aren't worth buying, so borrowing them is the way to go....and if you have a state wide lending system(MelCat rocks! eh RCHD?), that's even better especially if you live in a small town.

Agrees that the Damerow and Ussery are worth buying.

Last edited:
Go to Amazon.com they have many great chicken books.my absolute favorite is the chicken health hand book.it is absolutely full of necessary health information. Just search on Amazon for it. Also search the many titles they have. Another fun book is the chicken whispers guide to keeping chickens. Another is chickens health for dummies.if you want to get more scientific than I recommend poultry diseases diagnosis and treatment. Another is story's guide to keeping chickens. Another great read is city chicks. Hope this helps. What ever you decide please get the chicken health handbook first. It has very valuable necessary information. I think all chicken owners should have it. Hope this helps. Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom