chicken lice, best natural product ?

growlingrooster

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2017
hi!
So I am baby-sitting (or more like, hen-sitting) a few girls for the winter for my mother's colleague and noticed just recently that they seem to be full of lice! EEK! I checked my boy quick tonight and he didnt seem to have any as far as I can see...yet...

My main problem is that there isn't much poultry medication available near me sadly and so I'm looking for more natural products to use.

I would like to have some proposition! I was thinking maybe doing to water/garlic spray for them or maybe feed them some ?
anyway, I would like your opinion please!

A year or two ago, I had a TERRIBLE lice infestation. I tried everything, nothing worked. Finally, I came across this natural solution that you can buy on Amazon. It's really expensive, but definitely worth it if you are able/willing to spend that much. It's a concentrate, so you can use it for a super long time, and you only have to do one treatment, because it kills both lice and eggs. You also don't even have to bathe them in it, it's powerful enough that if you just give them a good spray down, it works. Under the wings, by the vent, on their heads and necks, and then a little on their body, making sure it gets under their feathers.

It's super easy to use, as well, which is why I recommend it, since all the other methods I used required multiple treatments and didn't fix it. You also don't have to stop collecting the eggs, which is nice.

Recently, I had a small lice issue crop up again, so I just mixed a little concentrate in a spray bottle and spritzed them down, and when I checked a couple days later, it was gone.

Here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Elanco-Elector-Psp-Premise-Spray/dp/B0042L8S7A
(It may look like a small amount, but trust me, it goes a long way. I've used it three times, and lent it to two friends, and I still have a ton left)

A year or two ago, I had a TERRIBLE lice infestation. I tried everything, nothing worked. Finally, I came across this natural solution that you can buy on Amazon. It's really expensive, but definitely worth it if you are able/willing to spend that much. It's a concentrate, so you can use it for a super long time, and you only have to do one treatment, because it kills both lice and eggs. You also don't even have to bathe them in it, it's powerful enough that if you just give them a good spray down, it works. Under the wings, by the vent, on their heads and necks, and then a little on their body, making sure it gets under their feathers.

It's super easy to use, as well, which is why I recommend it, since all the other methods I used required multiple treatments and didn't fix it. You also don't have to stop collecting the eggs, which is nice.

Recently, I had a small lice issue crop up again, so I just mixed a little concentrate in a spray bottle and spritzed them down, and when I checked a couple days later, it was gone.

Here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Elanco-Elector-Psp-Premise-Spray/dp/B0042L8S7A
(It may look like a small amount, but trust me, it goes a long way. I've used it three times, and lent it to two friends, and I still have a ton left)

these products never ship in Canada, it's very hard apparently to get products for your chickens here :mad:!

Spraying pr dusting on the feathers will not kill mites or lice. They crawl, feed, and live on the skin--you must pull feathers back and quickly get the spray or dust on the mites or lice! Unless you directly KILL the critters, they just hide and lay more eggs, usually on feather shafts CLOSE to the skin--that you must also kill or it is a perpetual infestation. (that will kill a bird from loss of blood). Then roosts and even walls of pens can be sprayed to hopefully hit any that are migrating to other birds in other pens?? Go to it--with a vengeance! Natural? These are tough critters, DE, dust, gives them some relief, and if they have NO mites, can make the bird's dusty skin, less attractive to mites, but is not the kill that you must have. Good luck..

We have little to no lice problem and our birds dust themselves we don't treat them individually. We keep two dust baths full for our flock of about 40 birds.

Back
Top Bottom