chicken limping, foot twisted in

i8theburger

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
One of our red Sussex hens started limping about five days ago. Her right leg is the problem, and her right foot is turned in almost 70 degrees. Got progressively worse each day. They are all 2.5 years old. She now won't even go up the ramp into the coop now.

Should she be separated from the flock?

Should she have aspirin?

I could build another little room within the coop to keep her separate but close. Not sure about that? Perhaps put her in a small cage in the garage? I can post pictures if that helps. A small video?

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like an injury, since she is over 2 years old. I would however, put her on some poultry vitamins with minerals in her feed. If you cage her for at least a week you can then evaluate how she is walking, and then cage her again if she needs more time. It is important that she stays with the others, so a small area fenced off would work also. If a vet is a possibility, an Xray could be done to rule out a break. Do you see any swelling of the joints, especially the hock or knee?

So it was the left foot. She got up into the coop the night before last so I thought she was on the mend. However last night she stayed down in the run again. And this morning she was hunkered down in the corner since last night and would not move. We decided to move her into a cage and into the garage where it is warmer. She is now breathing heavily. She would not eat scratch, food or water this morning. Vet will arrive here this afternoon. Hope it is not too late. Her right leg seems under her as normal but her left leg seems to be back?

I hope the vet can get an idea of what is wrong. Did she have a Mareks vaccine? With her leg turning outward, she may have injured her tendon in her hock.

Sorry for the late reply. Eggward died. The post-mortem revealed cancer as the cause of death. Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom