chicken limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by budgielover101, Sep 30, 2013.

1. budgielover101

budgielover101 New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    my broody hen just hatched out 5 chicks, and now shes limping. the part where her feathers meet her scales is all red and tender. Also , the pads of her feet are red. I tried wrapping her legs in vet wrap and isolated her from her baibes, which climb on her. don't know what to do. Please help!

2. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    Can you post pictures, her feet are red? do they feel hard without picture I could guess bumble foot.

Rhayden

3. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    Might be sore from sitting (Just guessing) if she hadnt moved on a long time and was somehow on a harder surface. Maybe put more bedding under her. Personally I would not isolate her from her chicks if you intend her to raise them.

Chickens heal quickly and I would suspect given some room to move around that since the chicks are here she is going to get to walk around a little more as they grow etc...

We had an hen that was limping after sitting on chicks and about 3 days after they all hatched she was up and moving around like normal. I suspect they get stiff and sore from sitting.

This is just my two cents, I am not an expert at all and only have 18 months experience with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by