1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Log

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dragonshiner, Apr 9, 2008.

1. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Anyone else keep a "chicken log"? I started keeping track of egg production and general coop behavior on a daily basis. I started about 3 weeks ago. When I tell people that I've been keeping a chicken log I get laughed at even by my own fiancee. However since I've been keeping the log I was able to notice a dip in egg production and narrow it down to specifically what chickens weren't laying anymore and after investigating it stumbled across a whole egg eating scenario. (It was kind of like a chicken Law and Order complete with plot twists.) So I'm grateful for keeping track of things. What about you?

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    It's good business sense too. I do it to figure out if my egg-sales are paying for their feed.

3. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Nothing silly about keeping track of your "business"! I like the whole Chick'n Law & Order thing... LOL!!

I keep a mental log. How many eggs, who laid and who didn't...
    I should write it down though!

4. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    My wife started doing this a few weeks ago and at first, I thought she was crazy. Now (thanks to her) I know which hens are laying or not laying, which eggs are fertile & which eggs from what pair have a hard time hatching in the bator. I figured something out .....
    she aint crazy after all ! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by