Chicken loosing Feathers

Outsider

Chirping
Jun 12, 2020
Central Texas
I have 1 chicken that is loosing it's breast feathers. Why is that happening? The other chickens are not having the same issue. Maybe it's not an issue? I don't know. Any ideas?

She does not have any bare spots yet. I picked her up and looked for insects. While I was looking, some of the feathers would fall off.

Yes they are acting fine. It has been over a week now and they are not loosing as many now. Maybe your right about molt. this is my first set of chickens so I have a lot to learn. Thank you.

How old are your birds?
If you see pinfeathers anywhere on her, then that would confirm molt. Some molts are very gradual (soft molt) and can almost pass without notice except for the amount of feathers laying around, some molts are severe (hard molt) with large bald patches, and normal can be either extreme, or anything in between.
Since feathers are coming off when you handle her, it's likely molt.
https://www.wideopenpets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-molting-chickens/
Birds will do several juvenile molts up to the age of about 5 months, until they get their first full set of adult feathers. Then they generally molt once a year after the age of about 18 months (some will start earlier than that).
A broody hen will sometimes pluck her own feathers on her breast, for better contact with the eggs she is sitting on, so that can also be a cause of feather loss on the breast.

Back
Top Bottom