chicken loses her balance & can't get up

trkcChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Culloden, GA
I have a bantam chicken that has been sick for 1 1/2 weeks. She wasn't eating, but we have been able to get her to eat. She doesn't want to walk and when she falls over she can't get back up on her own. One side of her breast is swollen compared to the other side. I have her inside in an open box and she stays in it and never tries to get out. I can't find a vet that sees chickens/birds. I'm in middle Ga if you know of one.

With the swollen chest and poor appetite, I'm wondering about sour crop. Smell her breath, it should be clean, but if it stinks, I'd guess sour crop.

I would start her on a broad spectrum injectable antibiotic like Durapen (long acting penicillin). Or see if you can buy some Baytril from the vet. The doseages are easy to find on the internet. I got Durapen from the feedstore, and the doseage for a standard chicken is 30,000 units. For a bantam, maybe cut it down by 1/3 or 1/2 depending on her size. A little too much won't hurt her.

At least this will bump up your post
smile.png

Are her eyes and nasal openings clear? What does her poop look like? Have you checked her over closely for any other injuries (I assume you have). Does she lay eggs yet?

I was able to talk to a poultry vet that is with dept of ag. He thinks it might be Marek's Disease. So we are prolonging her death by trying to keep her alive with food and water. It SUCKS!

Back
Top Bottom