Chicken losing balance

thinkyesi

Songster
Oct 24, 2016
My sexlink was always running around and the first one to come running to eat. But now she doesnt eat as much, drinks a little and just walks around very slowly. She seems to lose her balance though sometimes when walking. Her poop has been very watery also. What could be wrong with her? Please help.

Last edited:
My sexlink was always running around and the first one to come running to eat. But now she doesnt eat as much, drinks a little and just walks around very slowly. She seems to lose her balance though sometimes when walking. Her poop has been very watery also. What could be wrong with her? Please help.
How old is she?
If she is of laying age, when was the last time she laid an egg?
Any swelling of the abdomen?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

You may want to separate her so you can make sure she is staying hydrated and eating. Offer her some poultry vitamins and some extra protein like chopped egg or tuna.

Let us know how she is doing.

I don't know how old she is since I didn't have her as a chick, I got her along with her flock from a friend who couldn't care for her animals.
She is of laying age though. She has laid many eggs while I've had her, but haven't seen her lay anymore.

I don't know how old she is since I didn't have her as a chick, I got her along with her flock from a friend who couldn't care for her animals.
She is of laying age though. She has laid many eggs while I've had her, but haven't seen her lay anymore.
She may have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors. Some symptoms include swelling/bloat of the abdomen, difficulty walking/lameness, weight loss, going off feed and loose droppings.

Do the best you can to keep her hydrated. If you have a vet that can see her or test a fecal sample for Cocci and worms that would be a good idea.

Peritonitis and internal egg laying issues:
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

Well she does have a little growth around her eye that seems to slowly keep growing. It isn't too big yet though. Her comb and wattle are very pale/dull looking. I wonder if she does have cancer? But I just got her a few months ago and she was running around and was at the top of pecking order pecking everyone haha
I had a baby chick get cocci, gave her corrid and she's good now and this doesn't look like it. My sex link has very watery and smelly greenish dark poop.

Well she does have a little growth around her eye that seems to slowly keep growing. It isn't too big yet though. Her comb and wattle are very pale/dull looking. I wonder if she does have cancer? But I just got her a few months ago and she was running around and was at the top of pecking order pecking everyone haha
I had a baby chick get cocci, gave her corrid and she's good now and this doesn't look like it. My sex link has very watery and smelly greenish dark poop.
Can you post some photos of her and the poop?

Watery greenish poop can be an indication of infection, not enough nutrition (going off feed) and sometimes worms. A gram stain test can help identify what type of bacterial infection, if any.

Back
Top Bottom