Chicken losing feathers pale comb

Pattipullets

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2020
I have been raising by chickes for about 1year, but this is new for me. I have 5 hens, 2 australorp and 3 buff brahams. They have been very healthy with no issues. I recently noticed a bald spot on my hen Jolene on her lower crop. My girl is and has always been very pendulous. Now the bald spot is extended down to her lower belly. No signs of mites or lice. Eating, drinking, and acting normal. But not one feather in that area With no visible injuries. Was thinking that it might be from the roost, nothing changed with the roost. All the other girls are fine. Could she be rubbing on the roost, we have a 2x4 for a roost? What about a bra? Could it be a weird molt. No other feather loss and no one else is losing feathers. Ideas?

Pictures would help (including some close ups of feather condition), but its sounding an awful lot like first adult molt. I know those normally occur in fall, but my 14 month old birds are beginning it themselves, and a number of other posters have also recently mentioned "early" adult molts starting in the 12-15 month range, rather than the 18+ month range.

Back
Top Bottom