Chicken losing feathers??

Sunnymommy

Chirping
Jul 8, 2017
We thought they were moulting and growing new feathers. We have read they do that late fall. But it seems pretty late in the year. Winter is here for sure and they are still dropping some. These are white leghorns a year and a few months old. Most of them look OK but 2 are pretty raggedy. Only 1 or 2 tail feathers, patches of wing feathers gone. So far no one seems to be pecking on them. No raw or bloody sites. Should we do something?

We thought they were moulting and growing new feathers. We have read they do that late fall. But it seems pretty late in the year. Winter is here for sure and they are still dropping some. These are white leghorns a year and a few months old. Most of them look OK but 2 are pretty raggedy. Only 1 or 2 tail feathers, patches of wing feathers gone. So far no one seems to be pecking on them. No raw or bloody sites. Should we do something?
Can you see any new feathers beginning to grow? Check underneath the wings and around the neck.
If you can upload some photos of the bare patches it would help, it is possible they are molting at this time but good to make sure!

My flock is in a whole range of stages of molt from one with almost all new feathers and not dropping anymore to others that have bald patches and pin feathers, and yet others that look ragged and in need of molt but still have most of their feathers. They are all on their own schedule ;) It's been full on winter here for over a month and down below zero F at night, but they seem to be doing all right.

20181203_142455.jpg ok, hopefully normal. This is our 1st year with adult chickens. It just looks alarming! I will try to get a couple closer pics 20181203_142509.jpg

They eat regular layer pellets. I will get some oyster shells. Thanks!

They look like they are molting to me! I see new growth.
It's perfectly normal. You can increase protein intake to help them out. You can give eggs or a little meat. Chick Starter or Flock Raiser also will provide higher protein if you want to just use commercial feed.

FWIW - Oyster Shell is used as a Calcium supplement. There is no protein content in Oyster Shell as far as I know. It should be made available free choice so actively laying birds can take what they need to supplement calcium in the diet.

Chickens usually start molting in winter/fall. If you really are worried about them, then you could feed them some more protein and that could help. Oyster shells really help with protein if you aren't already feeding that to them.

Back
Top Bottom