Chicken losing weight?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Handyhens, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Handyhens

Handyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    Gloria is losing weight. She has a very prominent breastbone and is as light as a sparrow. I've been feeding her separately from the others, but she is still really thin.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old is she?
    What are you feeding her?
    What does her poop look like?
    Is her crop functioning properly?
    Have you ever wormed her?
    If she is of laying age, does she lay eggs?
    Has she ever had any respiratory illness/symptoms - coughing, sneezing, runny nose/eyes, etc.?

There can be many causes of losing weight, from worms, to age, to illness, and on it goes.

Offer a high protein diet, either commercial all flock/flock raiser (20% protein), chick starter or scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. Limit treats. If you do give any treats, give something like mealworms or sunflower seeds and a small amount of fresh fruit/veggies.

Also offer some poultry vitamins in her water.

If you suspect the cause could be worms, you can take a fecal sample to your vet to have it tested for worms and bacteria.

Let us know how she's doing.

3. Handyhens

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    Gloria is 2,we feed the flock kaytee laying hen feed.Her poop is normal looking. Her crop is functioning properly, and she hasn't been wormed.she is a laying machine, but hasn't been
    laying eggs recently.I'm going to take her to the vet.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Taking her to the vet for evaluation would be best.
    Let us know what you find out.

5. MotherNature7

MotherNature7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    How did Gloria get? I just had the same thing happen. My Stella just died this morning. My heart is broken and I feel guilty. I did feed her separately and wormed her when I stated feeling the prominent breastbone. She was my favorite hen ever. She had no resp issues, so I thought she may be getting pushed around by the other chickens so I fed her separately and tried to give her the special things as often as she wanted. her comb and wattle became extremely pale over the last 2 days. Did you take Gloria to the vet? What did they say?

6. Handyhens

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    We went to the vet. Gloria has internal egg breakage. Shes staying overnight on fluids and antibiotics to see if it will pass. She might need surgery.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hopefully she will recover soon, keep us posted.

8. MotherNature7

MotherNature7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Oh! poor Gloria. WOW! That is crazy! I sure hope she passes this egg. I am so sorry she is going through this. Please keep us updated.

9. Handyhens

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    Update: Gloria has come home. She hasn't passed it yet, but is eating and drinking.

10. Handyhens

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    Gloria just got back from impacted crop surgery. She's gained weight, and is eating and drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by