Chicken making laying noise without laying

Hotchickendad

Hatching
Jun 22, 2020
I have a flock of 8, various breeds for about 2 years and I have one chicken, a grey one (breed unknown) who keeps making the laying song without actually laying. She jumps up in her coop, then a few minutes emerges and makes the laying CLUCK CLUCK CLUKC BAGAHHHHHHHCK!! That’s fine they all do that after laying… but The problem is she’s doing this over and over without laying. This is my first experience with this. She looks healthy, nothing obstructing her laying boxes. No predators in the area, nothing out of the norm. She has done this on and off for the past week. She does this whether I am on the backyard or not. I can’t figure it out. Could this be an egg bound situation? I always try not to stick my finger up chickens butts if I can help it.

Funny, but I don't think it is a bad sign. Normally illness is demonstrated by being quiet and trying to avoid being noticed.

She may be coming around to laying, sometimes there is a break and then they restart. (Molting can do that, along with 'perimenopause')

Back
Top Bottom