Chicken mama brooding ducklings?

Nigellas

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I have a very dependable broody/mama Java hen that has accepted and raised adpoted babies several times for me. I also have a rather unhealthy duckling obsession and really want to get some, lol. I've heard of people using their broody to raise ducks, but does it only work with eggs? She has accepted adopted babies of the chicken variety, if that makes a difference. If this would work, anything I need to know or keep in mind?
Thanks!
:)

I'm sure it wouldn't be much different them with chicks. I don't think she will notice them difference, they usually don't.

I am currently going through my first natural hatch with my hen on duck eggs. But as far as putting an already hatched duckling I wouldnt know, I guess she'd have to be very broody and have been sitting on eggs, you could pop them under her during the night and maybe just shine a torch so she catches sight of them. Or just go for it and pop them under during the day so you can keep an eye her.

Is there no chance you can just put ducks eggs under her and let her hatch them?

Back
Top Bottom